Soooo confused!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By tlwick

Thread: Soooo confused!

Jenk428 is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Soooo confused!

I just recently decided to homeschool my 13yr old son. He's in 8th grade. I am so lost at how to begin this. The school has not been any help at all! I feel like a deer in headlights and want to pull my hair out..lol. They keep telling me to follow the guide that they gave me, but I can not comprehend it. I have been looking into doing this online, but I'm even confused by that. I don't sound like a very good person to be homeschooling, I'm sure, but I just need some direction. They told me that I need to choose a curriculum. How do I do that? Does this website only offer two subjects? Anyone who can help, I would be forever grateful! Thank so much in advance. I don't know if I'm allowed to post my direct email, but its [email protected]

katshu2 is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Hi there! I'm so sorry you're so confused and nervous. If it helps, I would imagine that most of here have been where you are, and I can tell you...it does get better.

Here is the T4L 8th grade curriculum overview, so you can see what's offered at his grade level. You can also print this overview to show your school board your plan for the year, if that's something that's required in your state. Depending on your state, the guide they gave may be just that...a guide, but not a mandatory plan that you have to follow. If you'll check in with your state homeschool forum here, you may have better luck finding someone else in your state, who can give more specfic help.

A couple of additional links that I'd like to recommend, would be this Welcome to Homeschooling guide (awesome read for new homeschoolers!) and this Hints and Help page that can help you learn more about the T4L site/program.

Please know that you can always ask any questions that you have. And really...it does get better. I was SO lost and confused when we started our homeschooling journey in 2005, but my son and I found our groove and things got so much better. Didn't even hurt much when my second kiddo was old enough to officially start school.
    Katie
    Coffee drinker, gadget addict, proud geek.
    Accidentally homeschooling since 2005!

tlwick is offline Junior Member Newbie

when i was new to homeschooling i found online homeschooling forums to join, yahoo has quite a few and the first thing you want to do is go online and look up your states homeschooling laws and regulations, i am in NYS and there are a ton of regulations we have to follow along with a ton of paperwork/reports that we must submit though out the year. then to help with curriculum, most states you can make your own, u do not need to buy any expensive curriculum packages, or u can use T4L here, the world book online has lists of "curriculum" requirements for most states which lists each subject and topics needing to be covered for the grade level... join the yahoo homeschooling groups, there is a wealth of information and homeschooling veterans on there that are incredibly helpful. good luck and breathe!!! I'm homeschooling 4 right now and its a nightmare of a challenge but..... well worth it... you will be fine!
    bailbrae likes this.

katshu2 is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Thank you for chiming in, tlwick!
    Katie
    Coffee drinker, gadget addict, proud geek.
    Accidentally homeschooling since 2005!