Starting home schooling in KY
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By hearthstone_academy
  • 1 Post By KNimmo

Thread: Starting home schooling in KY

KNimmo is offline Junior Member

Default Starting home schooling in KY

Hello, I am taking my daughter out of public school and am in the process of finding a good home school curriculum to use. I do have a concern however and hopefully someone here that has home schooled in Kentucky can address it. The KY Dept of Education does not accredit or certify home schools. Will this bode negatively on my daughter's school education? Can she still go to college without a high school diploma?

Another question is, could someone tell me how one keeps attendance records in a home school, and are there certain hours the child has to be schooling? Could anyone briefly describe a typical day in the life of their home schooled child? Would appreciate it very much.

hearthstone_academy is online now Administrator
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Starting home schooling in KY

Hi! Welcome to the forum!

I'm not in Kentucky, but I have some experience interpreting homeschool laws and five of my own kids have graduated from our home school, so maybe I can help get you started.

All fifty states allow a parent to issue a homeschool diploma for their own child. Employers are not allowed to discriminate against a homeschool diploma. Colleges are typically more interested in a student's entrance exam scores than in how they learned what they know. Many colleges actively recruit homeschooled students.

When homeschooling, the parent decides what the student must do to graduate from the family's home school. The parent decides how many credits they need and in which subjects. The parent decides what equals a credit. (For example, many parents feel that simply obtaining their driver's license entitles the student to one credit in driver's education.) Parents also give school credit for things like arts and crafts, 4H or Scouting projects, piano lessons, organized sports, volunteer work or part time jobs, field trips (family vacations can be very educational), driveway basketball with a brother (P.E.), and casual parental instruction in things like cooking. Parents also give credit for things their student has learned on his or her own. For example, many teens have learned to keyboard simply from using a computer and credit for a keyboarding course is reasonable.

Many parents look online at other high schools' graduation requirements and model their requirements after some of those, adjusting for their own child's interests and goals. Every high school will have different graduation requirements, so there is nothing magical about them. Knowing a student has a high school diploma really doesn't tell a potential employer or college very much, since they don't know what might have been required.

Time4Learning does provide templates within your parent dashboard to help you create your child's high school diploma and transcript.

Time4Learning also provides an "attendance" report. It keeps track of the time the student is logged in to each online activity. However, you should keep a calendar yourself of offline things. The easiest way is to just use one with big spaces for the dates and jot down things as they occur. For example, "Toured local history museum, History, two hours" or "part time job, eight hours, Life Skills" or "helped Dad changed car oil, 1 1/2 hours, auto mechanics".

Kentucky requires the following of homeschooled students.

1. Notify the board of education.

You must annually send a private school notice of attendance to your local board of education within the first two weeks of the start of the school year. Traditionally, this has been interpreted to be within two weeks from the first day of school in the local school district. Typically the notice should be submitted no later than the second week of August. The notice should list the students you have in attendance at your school and include their names, ages, and addresses.

2. Keep attendance and scholarship reports.

You must keep attendance reports and scholarship reports (i.e. report cards) in a similar manner as your local public schools do. Generally, this means the reports must be updated every six to nine weeks, depending on the schedule your district has chosen.

Time4Learning makes this very easy with our Reports function within your parent dashboard.

3. Teach for the required number of days.

You must operate your school for 185 days each academic year, which should include the minimum of 170 instructional days and 1062 total hours of instruction.

Kentucky does not specify a minimum number of hours for each day, but their expectations average out to 6.25 hours per day for 170 days. Of course, you can homeschool through the summer, which would add an additional (approximately) 60 days to the school year and then you would only have to do school for 4.62 hours per day. They do not dictate a schedule at all, as long as the minimum days and hours are met. Remember to count everything you do, such as the more casual activities I mentioned above.

4. Teach the required subjects in English.

You are required to include reading, writing, spelling, grammar, history, mathematics, and civics in your homeschool curriculum, and to teach in the English language.

Kentucky doesn't specify the actual content of any of these subjects so anything that can reasonably be called, for example, "history" or "civics" can be used. You can award civics hours by having them attend a political rally with you, watch the Presidential debate, monitor an election via the news, go with you when you vote, fill out their tax return if they have a part time job or help you with yours, and so forth. But Time4Learning has a high school civics elective, and not every subject must be taught every year . . . just at some point in their school career.

Of course, none of us here are lawyers, so you should know and understand your state's homeschool laws yourself. The most accurate and up-to-date place to find them is your state's Department of Education website, but be sure you are looking at homeschool laws and not school laws. They are very different!

I hope this helps get you started! Please stick around and let us know how it's going.
    KNimmo likes this.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

KNimmo is offline Junior Member

Default Re: Starting home schooling in KY

Thank you so much for the information. I am really looking forward to this!