Struggling in Boerne Texas
Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By fairylover

Thread: Struggling in Boerne Texas

DanaBoyd is offline Junior Member Newbie

Unhappy Struggling in Boerne Texas

Hi Everyone!

My son is 15 and would be a sophomore in high school this year. He is a VERY accomplished musician and hated every minute of his freshman year last year and so we decided that homeschooling might be a better option for him this year. We got a very late start... and quite honestly just started this program last week... I am feeling completely overwhelmed!! Although he is hoping to be a full-time musician by the time he has to make a decision about college... I still want to help him be ready for college if that is the path he needs to take!! I know that this is not an accredited program but we can still give grades and give them credit for the classes, correct?? I feel SO stupid right now!! HELP!

Dana Boyd

fairylover is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Hi Dana. Welcome to the forums. Yes, you can give grades, develop a transcript, create a diploma. It is up to the college that your son applies to to decide whether they will accept those documents. Most will but a few will not.

Relax. There is no question that is too stupid to ask. It will all work out for you.
    bailbrae, lovehmschlg and step_emm like this.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota

step_emm is offline Junior Member

How do you give grades, develop transcript etc., did not see that on here ? thanks !

lovehmschlg is offline Forum Moderator

Just like with any other curriculum that you use (workbooks/textbooks) you can keep your own records, gradebook. You can use the scores on the T4L Reports to give your high school students grades. I say high school because I don't give my kids grades before high school. I don't really see the need for it. We do it for high school because they're needed for the transcripts.

The state we live in requires that our kids be tested or evaluated by a certified teacher each year. The teacher (who is also a homeschool parent) helped us create a transcript for our 2 when they graduated last year. We had no issues with the college accepting our transcript or diploma. They were more interested in ACT/SAT scores. The diploma we just ordered from a website online. You can use a search engine, like Google, to search "Homeschool High School Diploma". Also, this is a great website for information on homeschooling high school and creating these documents. Letshomeschoolhighschool.com You should be able to find free templates on their site for transcripts and diplomas, too.

I hope that helps.
    Janet
    enjoying homeschooling and learning with my kids, using T4L and T4W
    blogging our homeschool experiences at The Learning Hourglass

Dana,
    I'm so glad I'm not the only one who has done it this way!! my daughter is also 15, she was struggling in public school. shes really excited to be home schooling, its like night in day. We also pulled her a month ago, its almost the end of the school year. Id like to know the same thing. Morgan has been doing Time4learning, until the connections program begins.