Thinking of homeschooling
    amyt49 is offline Junior Member

Default Thinking of homeschooling

My 5th grader has ASD. He has an IEP his school and teacher are wonderful. He is struggling in the classroom setting. He is shouting out in class, it is disrupting the rest of the class. He cannot work indapendentatly. His resource teacher tries he best. It just isn't working. His father and I are at our Whits end. We are both frustrated and don't know what to do. We live in Las Vegas, NV. Next school year he is going to middle school. This is one of our biggest worries. Doing homework now is a struggle. What should take 1 hour takes about 3 hours.
    Last edited by amyt49; 03-07-2014 at 08:34 AM.

katshu2 is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Hi there, and welcome. I'm so sorry that you and your son are struggling. When is the school year over for him? What you may want to do is tip-toe into homeschooling, by trying it out over the summer. See how he responds to learning at home, and give yourself an idea of what your day might look like. You can skim through the lesson plans to see what Time4Learning will be covering in his next grade level, and T4L does offer a trial period, so you can try some of the lessons/activities and see what you guys think.

Also, poke around some of the threads in our special needs forum, and see how other families might be dealing with situations like yours. If you visit the Nevada homeschool forum, you should be able to find info about the homeschooling laws in your state as well.

Always feel free to ask any questions you might have. Good luck!
    Katie
    Coffee drinker, gadget addict, proud geek.
    Accidentally homeschooling since 2005!

amyt49 is offline Junior Member

Hi. His school year ends first week of June. I will try it over the summer. Thanks for the info.