time for learning vs k12

Default time for learning vs k12

is this curriculum better than that of k12

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Welcome, mel! If you are talking about the K-12 public-school-at-home option, it's like comparing apples and oranges.
    K-12 is an online school. Time4Learning is a homeschool curriculum. People often mistakenly refer to online schools as "homeschooling", because the work is done at home, but that isn't correct. Here is the difference.

In an online school, a third party (the school) directs the student's education. The third party is responsible for following the school laws in the third party's state. Parents do not have much, if any, input into what curriculum is used or whether their student can skip lessons, work at different grade levels for each subject, repeat lessons, and so forth.

In homeschooling, the parent directs the student's education. The parent is responsible for following the homeschool laws (not the school laws) in the student's state. Each state has its own homeschool laws, and they are very different. Homeschool laws are typically designed to make sure the student is actually learning, and not to dictate how you must teach your child. No state tells you what curriculum a homeschooling family must use. Requirements include things like notifying the school district that you are homeschooling or having your student tested annually or every few years. Some states do not even require that.

I hope this helps explain the difference. In my experience, online public school options tend to contain a lot of busywork designed to keep the student "working" for six hours a day. They don't consider that students in a traditional school setting spend a lot of time on things like roll call, walking to and from classes, and assemblies. Students in a traditional school setting also have to wait until the end of a designated class period before they can move on to the next subject. Homeschooled students do not need to do that. If all they have for math is a test, and they finish it in twenty minutes, they can go right on to language arts or some other subject.

For those reasons, doing school work at home is more time-efficient than traditional school. Online public schools do not seem to take that into account. Many families who use online public-school-at-home options burn out quickly, and conclude that "homeschooling" isn't for them . . . when they weren't actually homeschooling to begin with. Most are pleasantly surprised to discover the freedom available when using their choice of homeschool curriculum, (Time4Learning, another curriculum, or their own design).

This is a long way of answering a short question, but I hope it helps.
    Last edited by hearthstone_academy; 06-13-2016 at 10:49 AM.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

MichelleLio is offline Moderator

Hi Mel,
    I agree with Kelly's assessment of the K12 program.
    We did K12 one year. It was our worst homeschooling decision yet.
    It sounded great at first- they sent boxes of curriculum and a computer to boot! Set us up with a teacher and a learning plan. However, after the initial excitement of everything wore off- we saw it for what it was....public school in a box.. and not a great public school either. It doesn't matter if your child is a high reader or a struggling reader, you will get the public school box for your child's grade level without any differentiation. You will get plenty of workbooks and be required to work at the school's speed, not your child's speed. For some parents this is perfect and is exactly what they want and how their child thrives. It wasn't the case for us and we ended up leaving.
    With T4L you dictate when and how your child works or your child takes the lead. You don't have to take all the workbooks and books with you wherever you go just your computer. T4L has a full, meaty and quality curriculum. I have used the product for years. As a parent, you are able to have your child go through it as quickly as you want or spend time really working on concepts that are difficult. For example, my son excels in reading and language arts but struggles with math. Had I relied on K12 he would be reading books well below his grade level but working on math concepts that were way to advanced for him. Working with T4L and other curriculum I am able to tailor school for him. You can not do that with K12.
    It really depends on why you are homeschooling and what you want to get out of it. You might try k12 and love it or like us, leave and use T4L and other curriculum.
    Good luck!
    Michelle

garb_barbara is offline Junior Member

Yes we used k12 as well for the first 3 years. and now I am confident I can handle it on my own. K12 wanted so much from them,,,,, It is advertised as self paced and flexible and it is far from it. They would have them doing 3 or 4 major projects at one time and expect them to stay on track. We want something we can control ,,,something that works for our kids. Mine thinks outside the box K12 does not let them think. Lilly could work a grade level or 2 above where she was but they would not allow it. Finally something where we can work at her speed and her level

apatraw1980 is offline Junior Member

We started with K12 public school option. I thought it was great until I saw how many class connects he had each day. Class connects is basically sitting in a class room with 20 other students just online. His first class was at 8am and then another at 9, 11, 1. Then he had to do the book work so that added another 5 hours to our school day. I work 3rd shift so I would miss a few of his class connect sessions. 10 hours of school everyday is too much for any kid especially if they have dyslexia and ADHD like my son.

We enrolled in a "church related school" as our umbrella school. I decide what curriculum we use and I decide how to teach. We found time4learning and it is an awesome way to stay organized. I follow the state's core standards of what they think the kids should learn for public school but skip all the standardized tests and government overreach.

k12 and time4learning are 2 different concepts. K12 is a school, time4learning is a curriculum.