Tips for the first time homeschooling parent
    shelly is offline Junior Member Newbie

Red face Tips for the first time homeschooling parent

i would appreciate any advice on homeschooling that you can give me . this is the first year and its been pretty fun and overwhelming at the same time. wonder how you set your schedule up for the week? THANKS for your time.

katshu2 is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by shelly View Post
    i would appreciate any advice on homeschooling that you can give me . this is the first year and its been pretty fun and overwhelming at the same time. wonder how you set your schedule up for the week? THANKS for your time.
    Hi Shelly, and welcome! I don't set up a schedule...at least not a rigid one. We are very relaxed homeschoolers. For the most part, my boys (they are in 2nd and 7th grades) do two language arts lessons (or two language arts extensions if they have completed the language arts) and two math lessons each time they log on. They don't log on every day (we tend to do a year round schedule), but that's what they do when they log on. They do the science and social studies lessons on their own, and usually multiple times, lol. They love those subjects, so I give them free reign with those.

Outside of T4L, we do have some supplemental websites that we like to use, like VocabularySpellingCity and LearningGamesforKids.

A good place to poke around and see how other families homeschool is the Members Chat on Using T4L forum and the Home School Questions forum. You may want to check out the Ohio homeschool forum as well.

Katie
    Coffee drinker, gadget addict, proud geek.
    Accidentally homeschooling since 2005!

MamaToHerRoo is offline Senior Member

Hi Shelly,
    I just wanted to chime in on how we do school. Looks like we are a lot like Katie. We are pretty relaxed, except that I set a limit of 7 activities per day (it can be learning activities, quizzes, resources, or chapter tests). My daughter is not allowed to "orphan" a quiz, meaning she cannot do the two activities that lead to a quiz and then put the quiz off until another day, so if that means she has to do 8 activities that day...oh well! She is allowed to put a chapter test off for a day if she feels she needs to study for it, but usually she just goes right into the chapter test. I usually do not set what subjects she must do, though at times I do have to restrict science and social studies if she has been doing those to the exclusion of LA, LAX (Lang.Arts Extensions) or Math.
    We also use a year round schedule for a couple of reasons 1) it allows us the flexibility to take days off, or breaks when we need to or want to 2)it prevents the brain draining 3 month break over the summer that we spend 2 months recovering from it and 3) it is so hot here during the summer that we like to be in the A/C anyway and take breaks during more pleasant weather months.
    We use the sites that Katie mentioned along with Vocabulary Games.
    We suppliment with music, foreign language, riding lessons (for PE), TaeKwonDo (we are not activily taking lessons right now, but we all have black belts and practice the forms at home, also for PE), and have used the Art program with Time4Learning 2 or 3 times over now.
    That is just a look into our homeschool!
    Linda
    Homeschooling one for 8 years and counting!