VERY New to Homeschooling in DC
    mina1983 is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default VERY New to Homeschooling in DC

Hello Everyone. My name is Yamina. I am 30 (soon to be 31 years old) and I'm a mother of 5 and married. I've been ATTEMPTING to homeschool my children for YEARS now but I am not good at it. I like this particular program because it is more structured (and affordable) then all the other things that I have tried (other then free stuff of course). UNFORTUNATELY I am trying to catch 3 kids up because they are a little behind. I am so sad and depressed and I hope through this program I can achieve that goal. Can anyone give me any advice on how to go about this with this program? Any and all advice will be greatly appreciated. Nice to meet all of you in advance btw.

katshu2 is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Hi, Yamina! Welcome! Don't be so hard on yourself. I bet you're better at the whole homeschooling thing than you are giving yourself credit for.

I'm glad to hear that you're giving T4L a go...it has been wonderful for my family! My boys are in 4th and 9th grades, and have been using it since PreK and 2nd grade.

When you say your kiddos are behind, how do you mean? Homeschooling is SO flexible, you really don't have to worry about being "behind" or "ahead," unless you want to put them back in public school at some point. Over the years, I have found that some years it took one of my boys about 14 months to actually finish a grade level. Other years, it only took him about 7 months. I just let them work at their own pace, and they get where they need to be.

If you want them to start an official grade level at a specific time point, you can always try to use the activity scheduler to set a course for them. For example, if you wanted them to start their next grade level on September 1, you can plug in today as the start date, and August 31 as the end date. Then you can have them do the lessons each week that the scheduler tells them to do. It may be a lot, but you may find that they progress rather quickly for some lessons/activities.

Here is a T4L Hints and Help page that can help you learn more about the activity scheduler, as well as the rest of the site. I would also recommend you check out some of the other boards, like Members Chat on Using Time4Learning. That might be a better place to ask how other families use and advance with the program. You can also poke around the other forums too.

Good luck! Looking forward to chatting with you more!
    Katie
    Coffee drinker, gadget addict, proud geek.
    Accidentally homeschooling since 2005!