I'm going to home school my high schooler this year. Help! Gallup, NM
    Unregistered Guest

Question I'm going to home school my high schooler this year. Help! Gallup, NM

Hello! My son did not complete his 9th grade year in PS. I'd like to home school him as long as possible, but he is currently interested in completing the credits required to enter back into school at level. He said he's willing to stick it out with me through the first semester and maybe through the 2nd. Do you all issue transcripts/credits yourself? Thanks in advance!

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Hi! All fifty states allow parents to issue a homeschool diploma to their own child. Public schools are not required to accept homeschool work (or private school work) for credit. There are no laws saying what they must or may not accept, so it's often comes down to the opinion of the specific individual you are speaking with at the school you wish your student to enter.

I found it to be a breeze to homeschool all the way through high school, issue a homeschool diploma signed by me, and sent my kids on to jobs or college (four of them so far . . . two left to go! ) My friends have had varying levels of success homeschooling part way through and then putting their kids in public high school. One friend's son was required to take tests to show that he still knew the material (even though all that is required of a public schooled student is that they show they took the course in public school . . . not that they retained any information). Another's record were carefully scrutinized and the counselor seemingly randomly chose to accept some courses for credit and not others.

Time4Learning's printable reports, along with the scope and sequence, are very helpful when negotiating with schools. Unfortunately, there are no guarantees. If receiving public school credit is important to you, you might want to talk with the school in advance to see if they will pre-approve your homeschool work.

The best place to learn about homeschooling high school is Let's Homeschool High School.com. You can get answers from all kinds of parents and students who are or have homeschooled high school. There are printable diploma and transcript templates and a wealth of other helps.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!