im so upset, I want to home school but nned some help
    debby n NM & upset Guest

Default im so upset, I want to home school but nned some help

Hi. Today I. Found out my son was segregated from reg ed kids & put in with sped kids. The IEP didn't go well: I. Had an anxiety attack, told a teacher off, kicked a trash can out of my way out of the room and went hunting for the school nurse. Why? Cuz my son isn't allowed to carry his rescue inhaler. But yet there have been students carrying GUNS! YES, I BLEW A FUSE. JUST 6 MILES AWAY, MY SON WAS ALLOWED TO CARRY HIS INHALER. We moved & now he can't? Im so confused!
    QUESTION:: I missed the 4/1 deadline to apply for homeschooling. What do I do at this point? I can't send my son back. I'm afraid for his life. HELP!

Wmoon is offline Senior Member

I am so sorry you had to go throught that. Take a deep breath! You can still homeschool since it is after April 1st. Take a look at the NMstate page.

To fulfill the basic legal requirements for NM, you must have at least a high school diploma or its equivalent. You must also notify the state superintendent of intent to homeschool within 30 days of the establishment of the homeschool and by April 1st of each year. There is a website and simple form to submit this form.
    *~*Carol*~*
    The potential for happiness is all around you.
    You just have to dip a toe in.

Unregistered Guest

i am in the same situation...i have submitted the form, but im wondering if i really HAVE to keep my son in public school for the next 30 days. we are having problems with bullying and its getting very hard to get my 1st grader to go to school.

katshu2 is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    i am in the same situation...i have submitted the form, but im wondering if i really HAVE to keep my son in public school for the next 30 days. we are having problems with bullying and its getting very hard to get my 1st grader to go to school.
    Hello and welcome. So sorry you and your son are having problems with the public schools. No, you do NOT have to keep your son in school. You can pull him out and then notify the school board that you are homeschooling. You just have to make sure that you notify them within the 30 days (but it sounds like you already have). Here are the NM homeschool laws you can look over to make sure you know what you need to know. Good luck!
    Katie
    Coffee drinker, gadget addict, proud geek.
    Accidentally homeschooling since 2005!