moving to new mexico from florida
Results 1 to 4 of 4
  1. #1
    msantiago1010 Guest

    Default moving to new mexico from florida

    Hi everybody. I started homeschooling my 6th grader this year. We are moving from florida to new mexico. I was wondering what kind of evaluations are allowed in NM. Also can I keep using the same school work I am using now.

  2. #2
    lovehmschlg's Avatar
    lovehmschlg is offline Forum Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2012


    There are many members using Time4Learning as their homeschool curriculum in New Mexico. Here is a link for Information on Homeschooling in New Mexico. And this is a summary of the legal analysis for homeschooling that I found at the Homeschool Legal Defense Association website. You may want to find some homeschool support groups local to the city or town you're moving to. There are several sites you may be able to find through Google that list homeschool support groups for all states and cities. Just Google Homeschool Support Group [city,state]. Oh, and since you're new to homeschooling, this free Guide to Homeschooling should be very helpful for you.

    Best wishes to you and your family.
    enjoying homeschooling and learning with my kids, using T4L and T4W
    blogging our homeschool experiences at The Learning Hourglass

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2015


    Hey mssantiago1010,
    I just started homeschooling here is the website provided by the state:
    New Mexico Home Schools

    New Mexico is not as strict. They only require you track attendance. I couldn't believe it until I spoke with another mother who homeschooled both her daughters. You are given complete free range. Although they do post what the public schools are required you are not required to have any evaluations. Here are the only requirements:

    be the student’s parent or the legal guardian
    have a high school diploma or GED (You must also ensure that anyone instructing your child also has a high school diploma or GED.)
    keep a calendar in your files showing that you are teaching your child at least 180 days out of the school year
    keep a copy of your own diploma or degree in your own files
    keep a copy of your child's immunization records or objection to immunization waiver form in your own files (see below)
    send electronic or written notification to the state’s Secretary of Education within thirty (30) days of the establishment of the home school
    renew the home school's establishment every year on or before April 1st by submitting written notification to the state

    I hope this helps!

  4. #4
    Shalane Guest

    Smile Date has changed!

    It's even easier now -- you have until AUGUST 1st to get your renewal in.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts