New Family

Thread: New Family

nezbah is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default New Family

Wow, this forum looks really quiet. Just signed up for T4L, son is in 7th grade. I read and understood the state requirements, pretty much learned as long as your kid can provide the proof of the time, work, etc. The T4L can be used for homeschool use. I just know when he gets into High School we'll have to have an accredited school or system. Do any of you parents get that? I have searched long and hard for a sensible and low cost program. I was going to pay 100 a month for an accredited school but discussions with another NM family, T4L is fine until High School. I did consult with the truancy office and NM school systems, none of them said that this program would not count, just as long as my son has shown the work and hours. He has been dealing with some major health issues which kept him out of the classroom for many hours last year but they still 'passed' him. I needed to go online or homeschool for him so he could at least still be educated while in the hospital or at home. Anyhow, just wanted to hear from some NM families, if anyone feels like responding.

mamaneedham is offline Senior Member

Hi there,

Welcome to the forum! It is kind of quiet lately; you're right!

It sounds like you're on the right track! I know the issue of accreditation confuses a lot of parents. Time4Learning is not accredited because it is a curriculum, not a school. Schools are accredited when they meet certain requirements (such as student to teacher ratio, etc.). A curriculum cannot be accredited.

The curriculum used by Time4Learning is aligned to state and national standards and is used in many public schools.

Glad to have you join us. Please post if you have any questions or if you'd just like to share your experience with us!
    Mom to five of the world's most incredible kids, and homeschooling all the way!

"If the schools were perfect, I would still homeschool my children - because it isn't about school. It's about families taking back their children and educating them as they see best. School is only a substitute for the real thing."

Nutrition Curriculum For Homeschoolers at NutritionForHealthyKids.com

gailforever Guest

Default hey there from new mexico

Quote Originally Posted by nezbah View Post
    Wow, this forum looks really quiet. Just signed up for T4L, son is in 7th grade. I read and understood the state requirements, pretty much learned as long as your kid can provide the proof of the time, work, etc. The T4L can be used for homeschool use. I just know when he gets into High School we'll have to have an accredited school or system. Do any of you parents get that? I have searched long and hard for a sensible and low cost program. I was going to pay 100 a month for an accredited school but discussions with another NM family, T4L is fine until High School. I did consult with the truancy office and NM school systems, none of them said that this program would not count, just as long as my son has shown the work and hours. He has been dealing with some major health issues which kept him out of the classroom for many hours last year but they still 'passed' him. I needed to go online or homeschool for him so he could at least still be educated while in the hospital or at home. Anyhow, just wanted to hear from some NM families, if anyone feels like responding.
    I am also a homeschooler and use time for learning and other learning materials to teach my 9 yr old daughter. Due to the fact that she was not thriving in a public setting this site was a heaven sent for us. You can log onto new mexico state department of education and they can walk you through the homeschool process, it is critical and also state law that if you are going to homeschool a child you must be a High School graduate or hold a Ged, also you must keep records of school lessons and keep vaccinations current, lastly you have to register each child with the Department of education online or in writing. Hope this helps and welcome to this wonderful site, Gail, New Mexico

Hi there!
    Glad to have you join us. Time4Learning is not accredited because it is a curriculum, not a school. But it sounds like you may have already known that. I'm so glad you've found something that works for your son, and T4L only goes up through 8th grade anyway, so yes high school will require some work to find the right program for him somewhere else.

I hope some other folks from NM will post too. It makes it so much more fun when there's more people on the forum!

"If the schools were perfect, I would still homeschool my children - because it isn't about school. It's about families taking back their children and educating them as they see best. School is only a substitute for the real thing."

Hello Gail! Thanks for sharing your tips!

So I guess there are 3 people on this forum now!