I am doctoral student working with a faculty member in the School of Education at Syracuse University. I am hoping to connect with parents who are homeschooling their children. I am particularly interested in talking to parents of children of color and/or children with particular learning needs (such as disability or other special need). If this describes you, I’d love to hear your story of homeschooling your child!

Purpose of this research is to explore:
1) the relationship between diverse learning needs and home schooling;
2) motivations that influence parent’s decision to home school;
3) the approaches to home schooling students with diverse learning needs;
4) how issues of race, gender, and social class influence parents decisions to home school

Eligibility Requirements:
Participants must be between the ages of 20-65 and be home schooling (either presently or in the recent past). We are particularly interested in homeschoolers who reflect racial or class diversity; whose children have special needs; and who are motivated to home school for reasons that are not primarily religious.

Time Commitment & Location:
Participation will entail a 60 to 90 minute one-on-one interview at a mutually agreed upon location. If necessary we could also arrange to meet by phone.

Who to Contact:
If you are interested in participating or learning more about the study, please contact us at the email or phone number below. Feel free to share information about this study with other parents who might be interested in participating.

Layla M. Dehaiman
PhD Student
Syracuse University
[email protected]
(505) 804-3075 (Local to New Mexico)

Beth A. Ferri, PhD
Professor
Syracuse University
[email protected]
(315) 382-5013