Central New York
    DRsmom is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Central New York

Hi~We live in the central NY area. The closest "big" city that is somewhat close to us is Binghamton which is still too far to travel to. I'm homeschooling my 10 year old son in 5th grade. This is our first year. I'd like to "meet" other people in this area that are homeschooling. It is somewhat rural here and very difficult to find other homeschoolers! I'd also like to know about the yearly testing. I've read that they only need to be tested every other year until middle or high school. Is that correct? Also, what years are considered "every other year"? Two years after you start? or, odd years starting in kindergarten or first grade? Essentially, I want to know if he needs to be tested at the end of this year so we can start to figure out what we need to do for that.

fairylover is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Welcome to the forums DRsmom. It is hard to meet new people when you are in a more rural area. Have you check the lists of resource here on the forums to see if there are any groups in your area? You can also go to yahoo groups and check around on there to see if there are any support groups near you. Check with your local children's librarian. You will find that they can be one of the biggest helps to you. They will also know if there are other homeschoolers in the area. We do seem to spend a lot of time at the library.

As far as the annual testing, the law is not very specific. It's just every other year, whatever that means. My son is only in second grade so we don't have to deal with testing issues. I think since this is your first year, you could do either the testing or a written evaluation. Then whichever you do this year, you would do the opposite next year. Most people I have talked to say that it is up to you to decide which one to do first. I did get an email yesterday about someone who was administering the test but she is in Westchester. I don't know how far she is willing to go to offer the test. I'll check into that and let you know if that is the way you decide to go.

Please let me know if you have any other questions that I can help you with or help find the answers for.

Welcome.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota