Considering Homeschooling and Need Help!!!
    Tim Wasson is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Considering Homeschooling and Need Help!!!

Hello,

I'm brand new to the forum - just registered to post this - and I am in need of some serious help. My son was SUPPOSED to start Kindergarten this past Wednesday. Unfortunately, last week when we visited the school for the first time, we found ourselves EXTREMELY dissatisfied with the school - the classroom, teacher, and administration. We have made efforts to try to get him into another school, but it seems as though everywhere else is full and we cannot afford private schools.

Now as we approach the end of the first week of school, my wife and I are starting to really freak out about the fact that he has nowhere to go. Naturally, this has begun discussion of homeschooling him for Kindergarten and trying again next year.

The only problem with this is that we have NO idea how to do it. We don't know what the legal requirements are, we don't know who to contact, where to get curriculum and what curriculum would actually be approved by NYS, or really HOW to be home school teachers. I work a full time job and my wife works per diem as a nurse. We have two other children - ages 2 and 7 months - that would likely complicate home schooling.

Can someone please help? I am leaning on the expertise of others on this forum as we are losing precious days. Thank you so much!!

By the way, in case it helps, we are in the Lockport City School District.

fairylover is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Wow I can hear the panic in your words. First of all calm down. It's not as hard or as scary as it seems. Obviously you already have child care in place for when you and your wife are both working. So that is a huge help. No one says that school has to happen between 8 and 3 Monday through Friday. So you have school after dinner or whenever works best for your family. Homeschooling with an infant and a toddler can add a bit of fun to the issue but it is not something that you can't handle. You will find a very good copy of the law here. That would be a good first place to start. Send a letter of intent to the superintendent of schools for the school district that your son would be attending. They are supposed to send you the IHIP forms to fill out but often this does not happen. If you don't receive paperwork from the school district just prepare an IHIP according to the list of requirements in the law.

If your child is going to be six by December 1, you don't even have to enroll him in school. But if you already enrolled him I would send a letter to notify the school that he will not be attending. Please remember that I am a homeschooling mom, not an attorney. Please feel free to come back and ask any questions you might have.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota

Liz E is offline Member

I am in Buffalo, so not too far from you. I have links to some of the local homeschool group here. The first two on the list are pretty big groups and I would be shocked if there aren't homeschooling families actually in Lockport that can give you some tips on dealing with the district if that is even necessary at this point. They can also be supportive regarding homeschooling in general and provide good field trip and social opportunities.

Blog Entries

Hi Liz. Would you mind if I add some of our resources to the resource list I have set up for New ork?

Liz E is offline Member

Blog Entries

Thanks Liz.

corine35 is offline Junior Member Newbie

Hello and hope all is well. I live here in the Bronx, NY. My son who is 5 was in school and I decided to pull him out due to unwanted emotional stress. The first month of September, he was doing so good. But when October started like the first two weeks, I started to get calls from his teacher and the principal that he is starting to get aggressive. I couldn't believe it at first because at home, my child is well behaved. Me and his father took him to see his Pediatrician for a check up and according to her, if he doesn't act like that at home, then it could be the school or teacher-student relationship. I then took it upon myself to go with him to school a watch him and he did good academically. The one thing I notice that he is hyper and doesn't like to sit still. After two days of watching him, I decided to leave and go about my business. After a few hours, I then called the school to check up on him and I was transferred to the principal who is very disrespectful and asked me where am I. I then was told that my son was acting up and not listening. I went and just picked him up and as a mother, my emotions got the best out of me and I told the principal that I'm going to pull my son out cause I cannot deal with it anymore. A few days went by after hurricane Sandy, I called the school to let them know my son was admitted and sick. I then got a response from the principal where in she gave me three response, if your son is going to come back to school, someone needs to watch him. I then told them it would be me. But after she said that, she went ahead and told me that, they went ahead and took him off the registry as per her and my son's teacher's agreement. I was in shock! She then proceeded to tell me that, the school is a very calm environment and we don't want no aggressive child in our school. Since then on the 30th of October, I have not called the school nor the school didn't even attempt to call me or a letter at least of any action they have pursued. Is this suppose to happen? What is the best thing for me to do at this moment?

Thank you so kindly

Blog Entries

No this is not supposed to happen. You need to send a letter of intent to homeschool and only after that should your child be removed from the roles of the school. It sounds like you are doing the right thing by getting him out of that environment.

Of course he doesn't want to sit down for 6 hours a day. He is five years old. Little boys are very active. My son is ten and I still give him lots and lots of breaks in his school work. He will work for 15 or 20 minutes and then take a break and do something active. It's what he needs to do. Try doing that with your son. Find a good homeschool group in your area and take the plunge. I think you both will be happier. I would recommend the Tri-County Homeschoolers. They are a yahoo group. They do have a paid membership but it is very small. They are a very active group. NYCHEA is another one in the city but I don't know much about it. Best wishes to you and your son as you begin this journey.

Is there some way to email people on here privately?