Dutchess County Homeschoolers?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    bubbalicious9975 is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Dutchess County Homeschoolers?

Hi my name is Tina, and I live in the Dover Plains area and am anticipating Home Schooling my 11 year old son in the fall. I have been having a hard time trying to find anyone in my area that home schools to try and form a support network with. I tried joining the Dutchess County groups on Yahoo but my membership request has yet to be approved so Im wondering if they are no longer active. I thought I would try to look here. I was really hoping to have some support people locally to go to before I started home schooling as I have a million questions as does my son.

If anyone is from my area please let me know I'm not the only person here. Is feeling very alone in a great big brave new world.

Tina

fairylover is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Welcome to the group Tina. It's good to have you on here. I would suggest that you go to:

Tri-County Homeschoolers' Newsletter is a great place for information not only about New Jersey, but about New York and Connecticut as well. The email group is accessible only to members but to get information about the group you can contact: [email protected]

This is a very active homeschool list that publishes a monthly newsletter for New York, New Jersey, and Connecticut. I know you will find a lot of resources there. It is full of activities every month. There is also a list of teens who are willing to be contacted by new homeschooling families. Another way to find people in Duchess County is to use the T4L member locator list. Go to the top of this page. Where it says community, click there. That will take you to the member locator. Plug in NY and it will lead you to other T4L families in NY. Please let me know if I can help any further.
    Last edited by fairylover; 03-24-2010 at 06:43 PM.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota

Blog Entries

Hi Tina,

I just got the new newsletter from the tch list today and I wanted to forward this information to you regarding a Duchess Count group. Hope it helps.

4/15 (Thursday) 7:00 pm LaGrangeville, NY (Dutchess)
    Dutchess County Home School Association: Primarily looking for older students. We are a lively co-op that meets at my home on Tuesdays to collaboratively teach our children. Currently we have 30 children and several families will be away next year so we thought this would be a good time to reach out to parents of home schooled kids of any age but primarily those that are 11 and over. If you are looking for a place where your child could meet, learn, grow and play with their peers then we might be what you are looking for. Call or email me at [email protected] or at 845-677-4113 and ask for Sylvia, to find out more about our co-op or to attend one of our monthly meetings. What moms have said about the DCHSA Co-op: "This is exactly what I've been looking for. A place where my son could meet other kids his age and learn together but, still home school." "I am so glad we found DCHSA. It's such a great community feeling." "Our days are so busy it's easy to not want to commit to an entire day but, my kids insist on coming. They love it!" "My girls have made some real friends here." "The variety of classes are great!"

stressedout Guest

Default how do I home school my daughter?

Quote Originally Posted by bubbalicious9975 View Post
    Hi my name is Tina, and I live in the Dover Plains area and am anticipating Home Schooling my 11 year old son in the fall. I have been having a hard time trying to find anyone in my area that home schools to try and form a support network with. I tried joining the Dutchess County groups on Yahoo but my membership request has yet to be approved so Im wondering if they are no longer active. I thought I would try to look here. I was really hoping to have some support people locally to go to before I started home schooling as I have a million questions as does my son.

If anyone is from my area please let me know I'm not the only person here. Is feeling very alone in a great big brave new world.

Tina
    Hi Tina, How do I go about getting my daughter to home school. I also live in Dutchess county in Hopewell Jct. and I can not fine how to do this. Does it cost a lot of money to do? Please get back to me please? E-mail me at [email protected].

Blog Entries

Hi Stressedout, I'm not Tina but I'll try to answer your questions. In order to homeschool your child you would have to write a letter of intent to let the school district know that she will be homeschooling. They will then send you paperwork called an IHIP that you will fill out and send back to the district. You can find a list of reguirements here. Your best option is to get involved with a local homeschool support group. They can help you will out the paperwork so that you are in compliance with your local school district. Even though it is supposed to be the same all over the state you will find that some districts are a lot more flexible than others.

As far as the costs involved, you will find families who spend thousands of dollars a year on curriculum and other families who don't spend anything at all. These families use free material online and what is available through the public library. We use time4learning as our main curriculum so it is under $20 per month. But we supplement with lots and lots of field trips. So it depends on where we are going each week as to what it actually costs. This week for example, we are going to a craft class which is free on Monday. Tuesday we are going to a local art gallery, also free. Wednesday is bowling which is $8.00. Thursday is soccer which is $12.00. Friday we will stay home. Saturday is a free project at Home Depot. So we will spend $20 on activities plus gas and snacks for each day. Other weeks we spend more. For the next few weeks bowling and soccer will be a weekly expense. If you have memberships to places like art museums, science museums, and environmental centers, you can get a lot of field trip activities included free.

Check around the forums. Be sure you check out the links to various homeschool groups in your area that are found in this post. Then come back and ask whatever questions come up for you. It's nice to have you as a part of our group.

Unregistered Guest

Default Looking to homeschool in Dover/Wingdale also

I live in Wingdale and am considering homeschooling my girls starting next school year. I would love any information that may have been found out about the requirements of Dover Union Free School District on homeschooling. I have one that will be starting 6th grade and one starting 2nd grade.

Unregistered Guest

Default Thinking of home Schooling Also

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    I live in Wingdale and am considering homeschooling my girls starting next school year. I would love any information that may have been found out about the requirements of Dover Union Free School District on homeschooling. I have one that will be starting 6th grade and one starting 2nd grade.
    I live in Wingdale, my daughter, Grade 6 at a NY Arch. Catholic school (yes, they follow Common Core) is doing well there, but I hate the curriculum and the constant fund raising, tuition....for a CC education. I am thinking of jumping ship. I am a former teacher in this Archdiocese, so home schooling won't be difficult for me, but I'm looking for a group or co-op in the area, as my daughter is very engaging and outgoing. She likes the school, which is making the decision difficult. But - I am sick of the way parents are left out of the equation, and also of the lies I personally was told last year and this year. It is a 500 mile per week round trip commute for her to get to this "accessible" Catholic school as well, since they closed St. Joe's in Millbrook. I wonder how many more are out there thinking of home schooling in Eastern Dutchess?

Unregistered Guest

Default Dutchess, reporting

I am lookinh at relocating to Dutchess.. Does anyone know how the schools in stanfordville are regarding reporting & dealing with homeschoolers?

Unregistered Guest

Default Home schooling

I am looking to home school my son he is 13 and will be going into the 8th grade i live in the town of poughkeepsie the schools are great but the comon core is where we need a break it is not for everone and want to try homeschooling this year but i cant seem to find any support groups and help will be great thanks

Unregistered Guest

Default new to hom eschooling! needing help with curriculum

Hi! My Daughter is 5. We will be repeating Kindergarten again and hopefully starting grade 1 as well. We are in the Arlington School district. I was hoping to find out if anyone could tell me what exactly needs to be taught by law in these grades? I have looked up the NYS rules for homeschooling, but I feel like I am only getting very broad answers from both there and the school district..... Please help and TIA

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast