First Time Homeschooler In Brooklyn, New York
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Ruth_Lanton

Thread: First Time Homeschooler In Brooklyn, New York

MommyOfThreeBeautys Guest

Wink First Time Homeschooler In Brooklyn, New York

Hello All,

My name is Nicole. I have Three, Beautiful Girls there names are Savannah age 11, Charlize age 5 and Charlotte age 1.
    This will be, my first time schooling my children. I'm nervous and scared because I want to provide them the best education possible. I believe the Public Schools in, New York City are failing our children. The bullying is at all time high, my daughter Savannah got bullied all through Elementary and Junior High. So I decided over the summer to homeschool her and my other child Charlize. Why not? Both her parents are smart. But I may need some support and guidance. Can anyone provide me good tips and direction? Any support groups out there? Well, Good Luck to Everyone!

Ruth_Lanton is offline Member

If you're on Facebook, do a search for local homeschool support groups. I'm a member of a Long Island group, and we have a few Queens members, but it's rather far for somebody from Brooklyn, since many of the events are in Suffolk County. But I'm sure there are plenty of other groups in NYC. If you don't "click" with the people you meet in one group, keep trying. Every group has its own "flavor".

I've had my kids in and out of private and public schools, as well as homeschooling. Every year I re-evaluate what my kids need and what the available schools have to offer. I'm rather unimpressed with what's happened to my "good school district" after they started implementing Common Core. This year my oldest (19) will be going to Israel for her 2nd year, my 18yo is going to community college, and my 12 year old is home with me.
    MamaToHerRoo likes this.

gina arroyo Guest

Default I thought l was the only one 😃

The schools here are failing our children.
    My daughter, gave up her lunch to go back to the class to learn what the teacher was teaching them. The kids were not listening and talking the whole time the teacher was teaching. My son came home with headaches every day. He would say" them kids make so much noise i cant think", That's all it took for me. They love being homeschooling.

judii is offline Junior Member

Hi Mommyofthreebeautys,

I am a mom of two beautiful girls, 5 and 3, and an 8 year old boy, in Brooklyn as well. I am just starting with homeschool. How has it been going?

Brooklynmom2015 Guest

Default Also new to homeschooling

Quote Originally Posted by MommyOfThreeBeautys View Post
    Hello All,

My name is Nicole. I have Three, Beautiful Girls there names are Savannah age 11, Charlize age 5 and Charlotte age 1.
    This will be, my first time schooling my children. I'm nervous and scared because I want to provide them the best education possible. I believe the Public Schools in, New York City are failing our children. The bullying is at all time high, my daughter Savannah got bullied all through Elementary and Junior High. So I decided over the summer to homeschool her and my other child Charlize. Why not? Both her parents are smart. But I may need some support and guidance. Can anyone provide me good tips and direction? Any support groups out there? Well, Good Luck to Everyone!
    Hi Nicole,

I am also new or rather deciding to homeschool. How was your process for NYS? I keep reading laws that only students are eligible. I thought everyone was eligible. Was it difficult to get the Board of Ed to approve.I completely agree with your position on public school. I'm sorry your daughter had to deal with that. This is a great move that you are making for your children.

Thank you in advance.

Best,
    Brooklynmom