Hello all ^_^

Thread: Hello all ^_^

Amber Lashbrook is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Hello all ^_^

I just want to start this off with saying, I am so glad there are support groups here! I am absolutely terrified about home-schooling my daughter mid-year, but I am relieved to find a place where I can ask questions. I'm Amber, and my daughter Sierra is nine. She is half-way through her fourth grade year. The reason I am pulling her from her school is because they don't have an anti-bullying protocol for their teachers. They are great at stopping children from bullying one another, but they cannot seem to wrap their minds around teachers who bully their students.

Sierra used to love school, she was in advanced classes and made straight A's. This year her grades dropped drastically, the school blamed me. They basically told me that I had failed in teaching my child how to handle stressful situations. I suppose teachers belittling their students, laying hands on them, and humiliating them in class - is supposed to be acceptable. I've sent in my letter of intent, and I am waiting on the remaining paperwork. Through this, I am forced to keep my daughter in school until everything has been approved. Hopefully this will be soon. Anyway, I wanted to introduce myself and rave about how wonderful this support site is. Sorry for rambling away ^_^

fairylover is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Hi Amber. Welcome to the group. How often do we hear of the victim being blamed for the abuse that has happened. Please be assured that it is not your daughter's fault. It is not your fault. The teacher and the school system are to be blamed for this. You are doing the right thing in protecting your daughter.

You do not have to keep your daughter in school until all the paperwork is finished. You have provided a letter of intent. Bring her home now. The paperwork will follow. To quote the law, "Parents who determine to commence home instruction after the start of the school year, or who establish residence in the school district after the start of the school year, shall provide written notice of their intention to educate their child at home within 14 days following the commencement of home instruction within the school district."

Find a local homeschool group to connect with. They will be able to give you support dealing with your specific school district. The schools will often tell you things that are not really true. They don't want to lose the tax dollars they get for your child. Feel free to come back here any time to vent, ask questions, let us know how things are going. We're all in this together.

Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota