Home school newbie introduction and two questions
    star sapphire is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Home school newbie introduction and two questions

Hello all!
    I just wanted to introduce myself since this is my very first year (upcoming) of homeschooling. I have 4 daughters; one is in tenth, on in 6th, one in 3rd, and one in 1st. My primary reason for homeschooling is due to my 3rd grader's adhd/anxiety disorder and the fact that her teachers from year to year have dismissed our concerns and refuse to educate themselves on adhd and girls (which is not the same as adhd in boys). Their motto, "if we don't see it, it's not there and it must be something you're doing at home".
    Originally we only wanted to homeschool for math (trailblazers aka "fuzzy math") but in NY State it is all or nothing. Our daughter has enormous math anxiety and combining trailblazers with the rigorous test preparation these children have endured, has caused my daughter such emotional anguish and a sense of dread/failure, that my husband and I researched and informed ourselves on homeschooling in NY a few years ago. I am a bit intimidated w/ our strict standards but I'm hoping that this forum and maybe some local groups can reduce that stress. My daughter actually came to us and said "I just wish you could be my teacher and I could stay home with you". It broke my heart but rekindled the flame of homeschooling. I told her she can have me for a teacher and we shared with her our findings (pros and cons) of homeschooling. She is excitedly counting down to her last days at school and coming up with ideas for our new learning adventures. I've never seen her so passionate and ready to learn in her 4 years at school! We are also going to home school our first grader for next year as well, since our struggles with this district go far beyond math and have been in place since we moved here 6 years ago.
    I do have two questions for today though. #1. If we would like to have our third grader repeat 3rd grade is that something we are capable of doing w/ out a struggle from the school? We had wanted to hold her back in second grade due to her spelling and math being absolutely atrocious. We were strongly warned against that; their reaction was that of utter disbelief and disgust that we would ever "do such a thing to her". Her birthday is in October and she was 4 at the start of Kindergarten which meant we could have had her wait another year [hind sight 20/20 right?] so we really felt justified in requesting another year of 2nd grade. #2. If my daughter can catch up within the next year or two, can we advance her the year she will loose? Will our recorded findings be enough to advance her or will the schools need "proof" by way of testing? Thanks for reading and I look forward to meeting you.

fairylover is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

First of I want to say Welcome to Time4Learning. Now take a deep breathe and pour yourself a cup of tea. First of all, you are in charge of your child's education. Not the school district. If you feel that she needs to do third grade over again than do that. Also, if she is doing well in the other subjects and only struggling in math, you could do fourth grade work in the other subjects and third grade or even second grade in math. When you are filling out the IHIP for the school you just say you are using Time4Learning Math Level 3, Time4Learning Science Level 3, Time4Learning Language Arts level 3, etc. Then add in any other outside classes you will be taking. We go to an Environmental Center, A Nature Center, and a couple of Historical sites for monthly classes. If you do things like that then you would list them on the IHIP as well. Each school district is different as far as what they require and what they don't. Joining local to you groups would give you the best options there. What part of NY are you in? I can refer you to some groups in your area.

As far as her going back to school at some point in the future, it is again up to the local school district as to what they will accept. Some schools will look at your progress reports and then place her in the grade level indicated on them. Others will insist on testing no matter what.

One of the great things about homeschooling is that there is no requirement that you sit at a desk for six hours at a time. With my son, we will work on T4L for a short time and then he will run outside and check the mail. After we work for a while longer, he will get something to eat. Then he might run around the building. We can only work in 15 to 20 minute periods. He has to have lots of physical activity in between.

Come back and ask as many questions as you have. And again, welcome to Homeschooling and to Time4Learning.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota

starsapphire Guest

Tea isn't my thing but I do drink half-calf. coffee so I'm drinking that instead ;-) We are in Onondaga County, North Syracuse School District. Thanks for the time for learning tips, I think that starting her out at level three is a fantastic idea. You're right...if her main concerns for us are spelling, writing and math then we can utilize 2nd or 3rd grade for them, all the while keeping her at her current level w/ her other subjects. I'm SOOO pleased that I found this forum and Time 4 Learning. Much appreciation for your response.

Blog Entries

If you go to this link you will find a list of homeschool groups in New York. Hopefully one of them is close to you.

Blog Entries

Oh, I forgot to say. You might want to check out Spelling City. They have some great games and spelling lists and things like that.