Homeschoolers in New York?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Beckyf is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Homeschoolers in New York?

Hi their, i was just wondering if anyone was from Upstate NY? I am a homeschool mommy of 1 age 9 grade 4. if anyone would be intrested in chatting about homeschooling and the rules NY has (crazy) please contact me. I can be found also on facebook under Becky Fitzgerald. Thanks.

topsytechie is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Default Re: ANYONE FROM UPSTATE NY??

Hi, Becky...here is the link to the New York Time4Learning forum...you might head over there and find some other local folks!

new-york-f28.html

SahmIam is offline Senior Member

Default Re: ANYONE FROM UPSTATE NY??

Hi Becky, we now live in WA but we moved out from upstate NY last winter. I agree, the laws and rules are insane there! WA is much easier. Sign on the dotted line and agree to yearly testing or oversight. Oh and make sure those kids are "schooling" by the age of 8. Can you imagine? I hope you find some other New Yorkers to chat with!
    Melissa.

johnna0401 is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Re: Homeschoolers in New York?

Becky,
    I'm from central New York, the Finger Lakes region. No matter where you live in New York, the rules are extensive. Sometimes you can have a school system that has a homeschool moderator who is sympathetic to parents who choose to homeschool their children. Ours is very patient with us, at the same time trying to stay current with the "state." It's kind of frustrating for him, I think, to be the "middle man," but we cooperate with him and, so far, have had no serious issues with the state.
    I love the state of New York, born and raised here, but between taxes and homeschool rules, life can be pretty challenging.
    By the way, I have a 9 year old 4th grader, too.
    If you have some specific questions, email me or post them here and I'll see what information I can get for you.
    Thanks,
    Johnna
    Johnna

Beckyf is offline Junior Member Newbie

Johnna, I just pulled my 12 year old son outta the public school as well. I cant stand the school district, they did my 9 year old sooo wrong. I would never look to them for help, because I would get no where with them. I have so much anger with their school at the moment. But anyhow, i have a facebook page and am under Becky Fitzgerald, i dont know if you do facebook or not, but I am intrested in getting to know as many people as i can from NY, i feel so lost and so alone in this, but yet i know what i have to do for my children. I like time4learning so far, my 9 year old struggles with sitting through the entire curriculum a bit, but were working on it. My email add, is [email protected], we can also talk through there, im intrested in learning as much as i can about homeschooling. Thanks.

bandcamp275 is offline Junior Member Newbie

Hi Becky - we are in Syracuse ny and are currently just in the beginning stages of pulling our son out of school to be able to homeschool him. I hope to have him home around or before Christmas. He is an almost 11 year old 5th grader. We are pulling him not because we feel that the school can't accomodate him or properly teach him but rather socially he struggles due to aspergers and depression and anxiety. We want to see if bringing him home would help aliviate the anxiety and true saddness that he goes through on an almost daily basis. We also have a daughter (adopted from China) who we are currently going to keep in school at this time. She gets resources from the school for reading and math and i think until she gets up to par with the other kids she does better in that social setting. She flurishes in that setting socially whereas our son is having extreme difficulty with it and the demands placed i believe unneccesarily.
    So with all that being said - where do i begin?? How far into the system are you?? Have you decided to go with a purchased curriculum or are you able to make one up yourself?? What is your situation for homeschooling your child?
    btw it's 3am - i can't sleep, my head is too busy and i am not spell checking this
    thanks so much for your post
    brandi

Dear Brandi,
    I have included a transcript from a radio program called Homeschool Heartbeat that I recieved recently that talks specifically about Aspergers. I've included a link to the HSLDA website. This site is invaluable to homeschoolers no matter where you live. I'll also include a link to a site that has links to local homeschool groups that you may want to get involved in; it's especially important in the early years of homeschooling to be involved with other homeschoolers.
    I hope this helps get you off to a great start. Please let me know if I can help you further.
    Johnna Ingram New York State T4L Rep.
    http://www.hslda.org/hs/state/NY/default.asp
    http://localhs.com/?ord
    Daily Transcript

Program Audio--Click here to Listen Online.

Theres No Place like Home

Volume 92, Program 32
    10/13/2009

Imagine trying to learn in an environment full of overwhelming sounds, feelings, smells, and incomprehensible language. Imagine going to school with Asperger’s syndrome. Today’s guest on Home School Heartbeat joins host Mike Smith to discuss how homeschooling could help your Asperger’s child.

Mike Smith:
    HSLDA Special Needs Coordinator Dianne Craft joins me again today. Dianne, on our last program, you described what Asperger’s syndrome is. Parents whose child struggles with Asperger’s may wonder—is homeschooling a feasible option? What would you tell them?

Dianne Craft:
    Well, many parents find the best educational setting for these wonderful children is at home. Since these children are often very curious, even gifted learners, at home they’re free to explore the topics of interest to them. Also, peer relationships aren’t their strength; they’re not distracted from the learning by the constant need to interact with their peers. Their siblings and parents become their friends. They learn appropriate social interaction in the home setting. And since many of these children suffer with sensory processing problems, it’s better for them to be educated in a setting free from the unsettling atmosphere of a crowded school room. At home, you can give your child a set schedule for the day, so he knows what to expect—which will give him a good level of comfort. It’s also the best setting in which to pinpoint dietary issues that may be contributing to your child’s behavior.

Mike:
    Dianne, that’s great news for parents of an Asperger’s child. Thanks for sharing that with our listeners! And until next time, I’m Mike Smith.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Home School Heartbeat" is a production of the Home School Legal Defense Association. All rights reserved. For more information on Home School Heartbeat or the Home School Legal Defense Association please contact us at:

Home School Heartbeat • P.O. Box 3000 • Purcellville, Virginia 20134-9000
    Phone: (866) 338-8614 • Fax: (540) 338-8609 • Email: [email protected]
    Web: http://www.homeschoolheartbeat.org/

© 2009 HSLDA. All rights reserved.
    Johnna

bandcamp275 is offline Junior Member Newbie

Johnna - thank you so much for your reply. I have been all over the sites you listed and am well aware of what it means for my son to be in the situation he is in. Thank you for putting them here. We have gone back and forth with the decision to home school him since he was in kindergarten. Today was our first day and it felt wierd but he was happy. And when he got to a point where he was working on something that is difficult for him i tested to see what my limits were with him and when i felt it was time I backed off. It will take some getting used to this new way of schooling for him. I kept feeling like someone was looking over my shoulder everywhere we went. I am sure that things will get easier and more comfortable as time goes on. All i know is he laughed more today and didn't cry once. He didn't get the sadness that he says overwhelms him. And once more he didn't have a kid tell him that he wished he was dead...
    Much thanks
    Brandi

Brandi,
    That last part makes all the struggle worth it! I am so glad to hear that he is laughing! Yes, it does take time to get used to the new routine and responsibilities you will have as his Mom/teacher, but with time comes a familiar routine.
    Thanks for replying so soon and sharing such good news with me. That makes my day!
    Johnna
    Johnna

GarrettsMom is offline Junior Member Newbie

Hi, I live in Upstate NY as well..around the Saratoga area. I am new to homeschooling, just started with my 11year old 5th grader, Garrett. I am not sure where you are located but I would like to connect with other homeschooling families as well. The laws are strict but they aren't that difficult once you get the hang of it. Took me 2 years to fully research the law and get the most accurate info I could on the matter. Once you're in, it's just about keeping them posted on the curriculum and having your child(ren) tested when the time comes. http://www.nyhen.org/regs.htm Don't let the laws scare you away from doing the best you can for your kids!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast