Homeschooling before compulsory school age, report or not?
    Carissa414 Guest

Default Homeschooling before compulsory school age, report or not?

My son wanted to start school when he was 2 and his older siblings were being homeschooled. So, we did preschool at 2, Kindergarten at 3, and now he's 4 and we're doing first grade. We're new to homeschooling in NY and I'm not sure whether to report this to the school district. Here are my thoughts:

If I do not report to the school district this year (1st grade), they will have no record of him completing 1st grade when I report that he is in second grade next year. Will this cause a problem when he is scheduled to finish 12th grade when he's 14?

If I do report that he is in 1st grade this year, the school district with have a record of his academic progress from the beginning.

Can anyone share their thoughts with me....I'm really not sure what to do! THANK YOU!

Robin is offline Senior Member

Default Re: Homeschooling before compulsory school age, report or not?

I'm not familiar with New York homeschooling laws. Do they require the reporting of grades? In my state, we don't say anything about grade level when notifying our district.

Is kindergarten mandatory? If so, will they also wonder why that was skipped?

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Homeschooling before compulsory school age, report or not?

I'm not in New York, either, but I have experience interpreting homeschool laws. Maybe I can help a little until a New York member arrives with some advice.

New York is THE most highly regulated state in which to homeschool.

In the New York homeschool laws, students at different grade levels are to use different means and schedules of testing:

Assessments must include the following:
    • Grades K-3/Either a standardized test or a written evaluation or a peer review panel or assessment done by a certified teacher.
    • Grades 4-8/The annual assessment MUST be a standardized test administered every other year.
    • Grade 9+/Students must be evaluated yearly with a standardized test with a resulting composite score above the 33rd percentile.

I usually advise parents whose children appear to be "ahead" at a young age to consider them "in" the grade level that corresponds to their age. That gives them a bit of an advantage when testing time comes around. It's very common for, for example, a fifth grader to be doing fourth grade level math and sixth grade level language arts. And, in fact, what is included in each "grade level" is highly dependent on the curriculum publisher.

In most states that require a grade level determination, you can't change your mind later to decrease the grade level. I have a summer-born daughter that I could have considered in either kindergarten or first grade when I registered with our school district, and I wish I had chosen kindergarten level, just to decrease the pressure on her.

Lastly, you can't be sure your child will always be exactly two years ahead of the game. Many toddlers and preschoolers are very precocious. In a group of very young children, their abilities will be all over the place! It evens out over the next few years, with the differences not being quite as apparent in later elementary or middle school students.

Just a few things to think about! Welcome to the forum!

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!