I Love Homeschooling But Sometimes It Can Be So Frustrating
    fairylover is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Default I Love Homeschooling But Sometimes It Can Be So Frustrating

I love sleeping late, doing "school" on Sunday afternoon, going to the museum when no one else is around. I love being with my son all the time. I love going to shows, and having playdates. But I find all the paperwork very frustrating. I hate trying to turn a play date in the park into educationese for the quarterly reports. My son is only seven, but I can imagine how hard those standardized tests must be. He has serious test phobia, even with the quizzes on Time4Learning. I'm not looking forward to annual testing.

What things do you find frustrating about homeschooling in New York. Have you lived other places where it was harder, easier? What is the one thing you really hate to do each quarter?

Kathi

maryc927 is offline Member

Hi Kathi-

I just found this post and realized we probably have some things in common. You mention about your son having test phobia even here on Time4Learning. I'm wondering if it's gotten better? One of the reasons I wanted our kids to sign up and do Time4Learning is so that they would get used to doing tests. I want them to know how to test so that they are not afraid of them. We were using a 'free curriculum' and it had some things that I liked about it but one thing that I don't like about it, is that they don't really quiz or test the kids in what they've learned. I would try to do it myself but I was always concerned that I didn't ask the appropriate number of questions or kind. And, since I'm the mom also, well you probably know how that goes.
    Our daughter is only nine but I've actually started testing her every year with the standardized tests at the end of the year so that she would be prepared for when they really start happening. Would this be something that would work for your son? You could find a certified teacher who is testing kids and have him do his test along with them and then you wouldn't need to do his yearly assessment if he did well.

I also hate all of the paperwork that we have to do living here in New York. I have friends who live in other states, they tell me what they don't have to do, and I get just a bit more frustrated with where we live.

fairylover is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Come on across the river. We live in New Jersey now and it's great. There is no requirement for testing and all that stuff. Actually, no requirements for anything at all.

The testing issue has gotten better for my son. He is eight now and he does not seem to be as afraid of them. He used to start crying when he would see a test or quiz come up. Now he just takes it in stride. We still do all the quizzes orally. He is a very reluctant reader and would rather not ever read anything.

New York is very frustrating to homeschool in. But believe it or not, there are states that are worse. Please let me know if questions come up while you are wading through all the paperwork. I'll try to point you in the right direction.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota