IHIP Help!
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Ruth_Lanton
  • 2 Post By Unregistered

Thread: IHIP Help!

Ruth_Lanton is offline Member

Question IHIP Help!

I'm homeschooling my 7th grade son this year with TFL. This isn't my first time ever homeschooling, but it is my first time doing so in several years, and my first time ever with an online curriculum. I was pretty much an "unschooler" in the past- which worked great for my daughter (now 18) but not so well for my son.

What's the best way to go about doing this paperwork with the online curriculum? Do I have to select which middle school science he's doing this year?

Unregistered Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ruth_Lanton View Post
    I'm homeschooling my 7th grade son this year with TFL. This isn't my first time ever homeschooling, but it is my first time doing so in several years, and my first time ever with an online curriculum. I was pretty much an "unschooler" in the past- which worked great for my daughter (now 18) but not so well for my son.

What's the best way to go about doing this paperwork with the online curriculum? Do I have to select which middle school science he's doing this year?

I am going through the same thing! My daughter's school told me that what I had wrote up wasn't "sufficient" for them! I have no idea how else to do it! I pretty much copied the basic paper they gave me only filled it in with my information that I had, and they shut me down!

Jenn Ciri Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    I am going through the same thing! My daughter's school told me that what I had wrote up wasn't "sufficient" for them! I have no idea how else to do it! I pretty much copied the basic paper they gave me only filled it in with my information that I had, and they shut me down!
    I was going to copy the curriculum straight from this site. Is that what you did? I started late & I am getting ready to write mine up. I'm using T4L for my 8th graders math, science, english & social studies primary curriculum.

Ruth_Lanton is offline Member

I used the paper they sent me as a template, but typed it up myself. I didn't volunteer information about any subject they didn't ask about (such as handwriting practice which he needs for a fine motor delay.) Their paper had separate places for spelling, reading, and writing, which I condensed into one paragraph. I included a list of the topics covered in TFL plus mentioned that we'd be doing age-appropriate reading. I pretty much copied the information about math, science, and social studies. They also asked about health and physical education, so I mentioned something about "talking about puberty and bodily changes and making healthy choices" and for PE I mentioned going for walks, having access to a bike, and there being a treadmill and exercise videos available in inclement weather.

Then I got an email response asking me to print out the curriculum materials. I emailed back explaining that they were online, interactive lessons and couldn't be easily printed out. No email response, but I got a phone call repeating the information in the first email. I explained on the phone that it's an online curriculum, all interactive and not easy to print out. She asked me to email that information again.

So I sent another response to the original email, repeating that it's an interactive online curriculum that cannot be simply printed out. I said that I already detailed the curriculum in the IHIP (instead of detailing it again.) I also enclosed a link to the TFL page that detailed the 7th grade curriculum overview.

Hopefully, that will be the end of it.

If we do this again next year, the IHIP will include the phrase "all curriculum materials are interactive online activities" or something to that effect. And I'll link directly to the 8th grade curriculum overview rather than just giving stating Homeschool, Afterschool, Summer Study - Time4Learning.
    nelschooling likes this.
    Ruth, single mom to Jack, 13, Hannah, 19, and Leah, 20.

Unregistered Guest

Default Homeschool IHIP New York

For NY IHIPs I use the text portions of the curriculum overviews from this page:
    Curriculum Overview by Grade - Time4Learning

It is plenty detailed and more info than the district needs.

I also add very short sections on:

Health, Music, Visual Arts, Phys Ed., & Library Skills.

JOIN HSLDA: Homeschooling in New York - and ask them for help if you are having any issues or can't figure it all out.
    MamaToHerRoo and nelschooling like this.