Just started homeschooling please help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Unregistered

Thread: Just started homeschooling please help

Unregistered Guest

Default Just started homeschooling please help

Hello everyone
    We started homeschooling our kids third and first grade yesterday I know the year is almost over but we keep thinking for months and read a lot but still don't understand everything
    So we decided to start and we will understand step by step
    We sent the intent letter yesterday but we don't know what's next
    We don't know how to choose a curriculum
    We don't know how to write a plan and for who should we send it
    How to write a report
    Should my kids go to school for tests during the year
    How about the City Test
    Many question we need help and support
    Thanks

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Hi! I will recommend Time4Learning as your curriculum of choice. I have used it for my own family since 2006. Here is some information you might be interested in about using Time4Learning to homeschool in New York.

Here are the requirements I found online:

a. submit a notice of intent to home school to the district superintendent by July 1 (the beginning ofthe school/reporting year) annually, or within fourteen days of starting home schooling during themiddle of a school year.

b. subsequently, fill out an Individualized Home Instruction Plan (IHIP) form by August 15th orwithin four weeks of the receipt of the IHIP form from the school district (whichever is later),containing (1) the child’s name, age, and grade level; (2) a list of the syllabi, curriculum materials,textbooks, or a plan of instruction; (3) dates for submission of quarterly reports; and (d) name ofthe persons giving instruction. (Usually the lesson plans/scope and sequence available within your parent login account can be used as the Plan of Instruction)

c. maintain records of attendance (the substantial equivalent of 180 days). These are only required tobe submitted upon request of the superintendent. (Time4Learning provides a printable attendance report within your parent login, but remember that other learning counts, too, so be sure you include time spent on organized sports, 4H, Scouting, volunteer work, paid jobs, music lessons, and casual parental instruction in things like auto mechanics or cooking . . . not just time spent doing online work.)

d. file quarterly reports giving (1) the number of hours of instruction during quarter, (2) a descriptionof the material covered in each subject, (3) a grade or narrative evaluation in each subject (thesuperintendent has no authority to judge the adequacy of these reports); and (4) a writtenexplanation if less than 80% of the amount of the course materials as set forth in the IHIP has beencovered in any subject.

e. file an annual assessment with the last quarterly report. The assessment can either be a norm referencedachievement test, or a written narrative evaluation.The achievement test can be administered by a certified teacher or by another “qualified person.”A certified teacher, a home instruction peer group review panel, or other person can conduct thewritten narrative evaluation. A parent could potentially administer the achievement test or conductthe written narrative evaluation. However, unless the assessment is administered at the local publicschool or a registered nonpublic school the parent is to choose the individual “with the consent ofthe superintendent.” We suggest simply notifying the superintendent of your choice in the thirdquarterly report.For grades one through three, the written narrative evaluation may be used. In grades four througheight, the written narrative evaluation may be used every other year. Beginning with ninth grade,standardized testing must be done every year.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

Unregistered Guest

Thanks a lot for your reply
    I have a feeling now that we're in trouble
    I just sent the intent letter and didn't send my kids to school since last Friday
    I didn't write a plan or did anything else
    Your reply helped me a lot
    God bless you and bless your kids

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

I'm not an attorney, so please don't consider this as legal advice. I'm an experienced homeschool mom, though, and I think you're probably okay. The letter of intent needs to be filed within 14 days of beginning to homeschool . . . meaning you are already ahead of the game, since you already submitted that.

Then, item (b) says you will then receive an IHIP form, which you need to fill out and return within four weeks. There's a lot of language addressing people who begin homeschooling late in the year: "by July 1 or within 14 days of beginning homeschooling" . . . "by August 15 or within four weeks of receiving the form, whichever is LATER . . . "

The rest of the items are reports you need to submit as you go along. It also says the superintendent has no authority to judge the adequacy of these reports, which seems to mean you'll be fine as long as you submit SOMETHING.

Again, that's just my "homeschool mom's" interpretation. I don't live in New York.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

Unregistered Guest

Default letter of intent

Do any of you ladies know how long it takes to receive a response to the letter of intent?

Unregistered Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    Do any of you ladies know how long it takes to receive a response to the letter of intent?
    I received it in 10 days
    bailbrae likes this.