Mid-year start with anxiety
    LeeGee Guest

Default Mid-year start with anxiety

Hi everyone,
    I've been lurking in the forums trying to decide if homeschooling is something we should do. I KNOW I won't regret it and I feel almost confident in this undertaking. My fears stem from it being mid-year. My son, who is 10, does fairly well in school, no bullying, no major anxieties, etc, he's actually okay with the idea of homeschooling. But I am afraid of telling the school. I guess it's a fear of the unknown. I don't know anyone personally who homeschools. I don't know where to start. Do I just call the school and tell them? Am I going to have to organize T4L to line up with the curriculum he is currently doing at school? Are they going to make him take tests at the end of their year to see if he has kept up at their level? It seems so abrupt to just leave mid-year, but honestly, I want him out of the public school system, he's getting old enough now where the bad influences can have lasting damage.
    Any advice and/or resources would be very appreciated!
    Thanks,
    ~Lisa

fairylover is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Welcome to the wonderful world of homeschooling. I have a 9.5 year old boy who has never been to school. We have used time4learning since the beginning. In New York there are a few hoops to jump through. But once you get the hang of the paperwork it's really easy to homeschool in New York. You will need to send a notice of intent to homeschool to the Superintendent of schools in the school district that you live. This needs to be done within 14 days of beginnng homeschooling. They are supposed to send you the forms to file the IHIP wthin 10 days of receiving your letter. Then you have 30 days to file it. Some school districts drag their feet about getting this paperwork to you. You can find it online and file it without waiting to receive it from them. Some school districts will accept your paperwork, throw it in a file, and you never hear from them. Other school districts will go over it with a fine toothed comb and ask for revisions. It totally depends on where in the state you live. You can find a good explanation of New York laws here. There is annual testing but you get to choose which test to administer. You can also have a written evaluation by a certified teacher every other year in place of the annual testing. For the elementary grades I think the only thing you would have to supplement is health and physical education.

I would suggest you get in touch with local support groups. Since I don't know where you live I can't point you to any specific groups. If you are in the Hudson Valley or Westchester areas the Tri-County Homeschool List is a great one to join. It is a yahoo group but it does require a paid membership. You get a monthly newsletter from them. You can subscribe by writing [email protected] You can find a list of local groups here. I highly recommend getting involved in your local community. You will find the support for you and the socialization for your child will greatly enhance your homeschool experience.

Spend some more time looking around the forums. Go to the Getting Started Page. You may find that your son is already working ahead of what his grade level is. If that's the case just move him up a year. Maybe he needs to go back and review. Then you can move him down a year. You can even have him in one grade level for one subject and a different level for another subject. Some people start at the beginning of the year for the grade level he is in. Go through and let him just do the tests for each unit. If he passes the test you know he understands that unit. If he doesn't do as well on the test as you would like, you can let him go back and do the work for that unit. The flexibility of t4l is just one of the many great things about this program.

Please fell free to ask any questions you might have. We're all here to support each other.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota

Unregistered Guest

Hi, I am a mom of 3 who just started homeschooling mid year. My kids are younger than yours but I was nervous just the same. Get your letter of intent in to the district first. You can find out who to mail it to by calling your school district superintendent's office and asking who is in charge if the homeschooling. As little contact as possible with the district is recommended but talking to someone there is how you get started. After you get your intent form out, start writing up your IHIP. There are plenty of places online where you can view what other New Yorker's have done. Your packet from the district will be helpful too, but, know your rights! You do not need to go into grave detail in your IHIP or quarterly reports. I suggest finding a LEAH group near you, New York State Loving Education At Home , and joining HSLDA, HSLDA: Homeschooling Advocates since 1983 . LEAH is free and some groups organize trips, picnics, testing, peer reviews, choir or co op courses. Many of these women have been hsing for a long time and are a wealth of information.
    Although T4L is great, if you home school for religious reasons and want an online curriculum, I would recommend looking into Monarch or Switched on Schoolhouse. They look like promising programs, we'll be trying them out next year. Don't be afraid, he is your child, not the state's- you have the right and the ability to educate him at home. And, no you don't have to pick up where the school left off- you can choose to start and end anyway you want- just cover the State required material. I started off with Tapestry of Grace and Saxon math (Saxon was what their school had but it is a great math curriculum!). I then switched to T4L because I felt that it would be a great core program and my stuff a good supplement.
    Also, as far as testing goes, you choose what test your child takes and what grade of that test! For example, you might have a child in 5th grade. Let's say you're concerned that your child just isn't confident in what they've learned just yet, you can have him take a California Achievements test for 4th grade. Schools do this whenever a child is left back a grade. Testing is not required every year, it must be done every other year, Peer review can be used on the off years. Most of the schools have done their testing already so you could be off the hook- find out. Then next year could be your off year, giving you and your son time to adjust and learn! Oh, the glories of homeschooling!
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeGee View Post
    Hi everyone,
    I've been lurking in the forums trying to decide if homeschooling is something we should do. I KNOW I won't regret it and I feel almost confident in this undertaking. My fears stem from it being mid-year. My son, who is 10, does fairly well in school, no bullying, no major anxieties, etc, he's actually okay with the idea of homeschooling. But I am afraid of telling the school. I guess it's a fear of the unknown. I don't know anyone personally who homeschools. I don't know where to start. Do I just call the school and tell them? Am I going to have to organize T4L to line up with the curriculum he is currently doing at school? Are they going to make him take tests at the end of their year to see if he has kept up at their level? It seems so abrupt to just leave mid-year, but honestly, I want him out of the public school system, he's getting old enough now where the bad influences can have lasting damage.
    Any advice and/or resources would be very appreciated!
    Thanks,
    ~Lisa

Blog Entries

Thanks for your input. I wish you had left your name so we could thank you properly. But thanks anyway.

LeeGee is offline Junior Member Newbie

I ditto what Fairylover said, thank you "guest".

Blog Entries

Don't ya just hate having to say Hey You because you don't know someone's name.

roseyday is offline Junior Member Newbie

okay fairylover. I registered- I was the guest. No more Hey You for me.

Blog Entries

Hey Rosyday. It's so nice to meet you.