Need help with 8th grade SCIENCE & HISTORY curriculum
    Equestrian Mom is offline Junior Member Newbie

Question Need help with 8th grade SCIENCE & HISTORY curriculum

Hi,

My daughter and I are kind of new to home schooling and I am quickly becoming over whelmed! I am looking for ideas and curriculum for both science and history lessons. I want to teach U.S. history this year, but I am not sure whether to buy a text or what other resources would be most useful. As for science, I did find a web site called Superchargedscience.com that seems to be quite interesting. Does anyone have some suggestions? Any help would be most appreciated.

Thanks

Equestrian Mom

fairylover is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

I have used SuperchargedScience. My son loves the videos and the experiments. The only thing he doesn't like is the reading material. But he hates to read. I stopped using it for a while because our schedule just got too full. But we will be using it again in January. Once you get on their mailing list, you will get notices of free classes that they offer now and then. Take one of the free classes and see how your child likes it. After the free class they offer one month for only $1.00. It's a good deal to try it out.

As far as history, my son really likes the Chester Comix. They seem to be historically accurate and they are fun to read. You can usually get them on Amazon for buy three get one free. We also do a lot of historical sites to supplement.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota

Equestrian Mom is offline Junior Member Newbie

I think I have decided on the Supercharged Science. In addition I have found an other source for History that some maybe interested in exploring; it is on Learn Our History's: ELECTION DAY: Choosing Our President A site dedicated to American history. According to their web site their mission statement is : "At Learn Our History, our mission is simple. We're dedicated to celebrating America's contributions to the world and making it fun for kids to learn our history."

The company's co-founders, former Arkansas governor Mike Huckabee and Brad Saft, mutual goal: to make learning history fun for kids.

I am going to give this site a try along with Chester Comix.

Thanks for the information and I welcome any other suggestions

fairylover is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Sounds like a plan to me. My son is taking a series of classes at a local historical center. This month they are talking about the republican party. Next month it will be the democratic party. Then in November they will talk about the Election Process. I think it will give him a good base for this process. I also heard today about a website that has lesson plans based on the 9/11 experience. " www.911memorial.org has some wonderful lesson plans for grades K-12 if anyone wants to check them out." My friend who sent this to me said it was a very good program.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota