new to forum

Thread: new to forum

jcs379 is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default new to forum

Hi, I am' new to this forum .I would like to homeschooling my son. He is 7 years old , and will be coming over from Europe this summer.He 's a US citizen. I really don't want to put him in to the NYC public school system ,which has bad reputation , and frankly is the worst public school system in the country. we live in Queens and I 'am looking for any supporting group located in the area?

fairylover is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Hi jcs379. It's so nice to meet you. Welcome to the forum and to homeschool. There are some great homeschool groups throughout the state. The Tri-County Homeschoolers is one of the best. They are a yahoo group. They do have a small annual membership fee. But it supports a great newsletter that is full of activities. We have gone to many of their activities. Another group that was really good is Kids Play Well. It is also a yahoo group. I don't know if it is still functioning or not. They have great activities when they are going strong. The organizer has periodic health issues so they are not always going. NYCHEA is a group just for NYC. If you look at the beginning posts on this forum on of them has links to several groups throughout the state.

There are great monthly classes in Yonkers at the Beczak Environmental Center. They are not homeschool specific but lots of homeschoolers attend them.

I hope you find what you are looking for. Keep posting on here.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota

jcs379 is offline Junior Member Newbie

since I 'am working full time and my wife is not confident , that She can do it . what are my options? is there any way ,that I can have him homeschooled?

Blog Entries

You can hire a private tutor to assist your child. You can not technically have someone else homeschool your child. There are some coops around that might be helpful. One of the great things about Time4Learning is that everything is basically done for you. All your wife would have to do is make sure he follows each lesson and is understanding the material. It really isn't hard at all. I'm sure with a bit of experience she will do fine. If she has problems with some areas you could help out at night and on weekends. No one says that school has to be Monday through Friday from 9 to 3. My son does his best work at midnight.

Unregistered Guest

Smile New to Forum and Homeschool

Hi all!!

My name is Ann Marie and I am the mom of 3. Our oldest is moved out and married, our middle boy is doing fantastic in his new public school setting. He has Asperger's, Central Auditory Processing disorder and has a Sensory Integration issue. However this contained setting and the help of District (and they have been great this year) he is doing awesome, but our youngest was struggling horribly in a Christian School that she was in since Kindergarten with bullying!! We were not only shocked but mortified at this!! In light of these horrific events, we pulled her out and will be Homeschooling her this coming year. She is 12 and going into 7th grade. This is totally new which makes it both exciting and scary at the same time for all of us, but we are looking forward to this coming year!! I am just reaching out hoping that if and when I need a little help someone is there to lend a hand.
    Thanks for reading and hope to talk chat more.

Ann Marie S.

Blog Entries

Welcome to the forums Ann Marie. It saddens me to hear of yet another case of bullying in the schools. I think I tend to hold private schools to an even higher standard than I do public schools. So when I hear of bullying at a private school it bothers me even more. Seventh grade is such a hard age for girls. They are changing in so many ways. I'm sure you've made the right choice for her. Take some time of deschooling for both your daughter and yourself. It takes a bit to get the notion of 9 to 5 school day out of your head. Relax with it for a bit. Focus on the things she is most interested in. Make sure she is able to connect with other homeschooling girls. We are here to answer your questions and lend support in any way we can.