new to home schooling, from webster, ny
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    heatherc0274 is offline Junior Member

Default new to home schooling, from webster, ny

Hi, Im Heather and new to home schooling, we live in webster, ny and I am very nervous and a bit intimidated about home schooling. I am willing and eager to learn and need any help and advice that anyone has to offer. My son is 13. We started home schooling last year and failed miserably. It was a program that was all text book, they gave me the books and schedule and did paper work to send to the school but still did not do well. He sees books and goes into a state of rebellion. I am hoping this will make it fun and help, but I am nervous because I am not sure what to give the school paper work wise. and I have to come up with science. So biggest intimidator for me is paper work I have to give the school. Any help out there for me would be so appreciated and welcomed.

desperately,
    Heather

fairylover is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

The IHIP can be intimidating. Once you do it a few times you'll wonder why you worried. When you send in your letter of intent they are supposed to send you the forms to fill out. Sometimes they don't send them though. You can list each of the subjects that are included with time4learning. Also list all the books that are referred to in the program as books you have used. As far as science, a lot of people use supercharged science. We take a few of their free online classes but I haven't done anything that you have to pay for with them. Also, some people use the science for the younger grades. After you get to a certain point it is mostly review so it would be okay to review at a lower level. Since you're new to time4learning, he has never done this work before so you could start him at fifth or sixth grade science and be just fine. We supplement with environmental centers, historical centers, and nature centers. You can get a lot of science from a nature center.

There are a lot of support groups throughout the state. On the first page of the New York support group you will find a post that has links to many support groups in the state. Check out some of the groups in your area. And come back to ask any questions that you think of.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota

hi Kathi and thank you, you said list the books referred to in the program where would I find that?

Heather

katshu2 is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Hi Heather! Kathi is out of town for the next couple of days, but I can try to help. I don't know if Kathi was referring to the reading list that goes with the literature lessons...if so, when you go to the curriculum overview page (for example, the Fifth Grade Overview) at the top there is a list of links under where it says "this page provides." Click on the link for "Fifth Grade Reading List." It's the same for the other grade levels as well.

I hope this helps, at least a little. If this isn't what you were looking for, please let me know and I can try to find the right answer!
    Katie
    Coffee drinker, gadget addict, proud geek.
    Accidentally homeschooling since 2005!

im sorry but am very confused. where do I go for curriculum overview? what web site? because when i am on time4learning web site and click on lesson plan it gives me the list of assignments and that is all no links to go to.
    I am very late turning in my ihip because I home schooled last year using a porgram that did all paper work for me and the ihip was easy I just attached list of books and their plan to it. I am feeling over whelmed, where do i go for the curriculum info.

Blog Entries

Heather, in the post right above yours, there are the words "fifth grade overview" underlined. Click on those words and it will take you the fifth grade overview. If you need a different grade, you can still click on that link...but when you get to the 5th grade page, look on the left hand side...there you can find all of the overviews for grades 1-8.

I attached a photo of the screen shot for what you should see when you click on the underlined words "fifth grade overview" in the post above yours. If you look at the picture, you will see where I circled, in red, the other grade levels you can click on.

I hope this is more helpful...let me know if you are still confused. I know it can seem overwhelming, but like Kathi said, once you do it a time or two you'll think it's easy peasy.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Katie

maryc927 is offline Member

Heather- We also live in New York, we live near Saratoga Springs, and like you we (I) have to do an IHIP for our kids. There are times when I send them in less and times when I send them in a bit more. When I say less, I say what our son is taking with Time4Learning. Here's just a bit of it so that you can see what I've done. If the school district is happy with this great, if not I'll have to give them a bit more. For Daniel’s sixth grade year of home schooling, we have chosen to use Time for Learning as his curriculum. Time for Learning is an on-line curriculum that can be found at Homeschool, Afterschool, Summer Study - Time4Learning. There we have signed Daniel up for Science, Social Studies, Language Arts, Language Arts Extensions, and Math. He is also doing a daily Bible study. He is also practicing his manuscript and ...
    I hope this helps you,
    Mary

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by maryc927 View Post
    Heather- We also live in New York, we live near Saratoga Springs, and like you we (I) have to do an IHIP for our kids. There are times when I send them in less and times when I send them in a bit more. When I say less, I say what our son is taking with Time4Learning. Here's just a bit of it so that you can see what I've done. If the school district is happy with this great, if not I'll have to give them a bit more. For Daniel’s sixth grade year of home schooling, we have chosen to use Time for Learning as his curriculum. Time for Learning is an on-line curriculum that can be found at Homeschool, Afterschool, Summer Study - Time4Learning. There we have signed Daniel up for Science, Social Studies, Language Arts, Language Arts Extensions, and Math. He is also doing a daily Bible study. He is also practicing his manuscript and ...
    I hope this helps you,
    Mary
    Thanks so much for the help, Mary!
    Katie

fairylover is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Thanks for your help Mary. It's always good to hear how another person actually fills in their form. Thanks for helping out while I was gone Katie. Heather, I hope everyone was able to answer your questions for you. Please remember that if it is a question that you have there are probably six other people with the same question but are too shy to ask. It will be such a relief when you get the paperwork in for the year. Then you can sit back and enjoy homeschooling.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota

Kenya Rowback Marlow is offline Junior Member Newbie

Does anyone actually have a sample IHIP for NY state with using T4L? I just pulled my kids out of school after the CT shooting and I need some serious help. Thanks in advance

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast