new to homeschooling
    Unregistered Guest

Default new to homeschooling

Hi! I have a 10 yr daughter that has trouble getting along with the kids in her school so I have thought about homeschooling her. She never really wants to go to school in district because of how she is treated. Last year in fourth grade she did not much help from the teacher either and was treated like crap from the teacher too. Can someone help me get started I live in upstate NY and read everything about it and really strongly thinking of doing it for her. If anyone can help me my email is [email protected]. thanks

fairylover is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

I'm so sorry your daughter is facing these issues in school. Some kids do well in public school and others just do not. They need to be home. Ten years old is a hard age for girls. Their bodies and emotions are changing so rapidly.

Here is a good copy of the laws in New York. The first thing you need to do is file a Letter of Intent with the Superintendent of Schools in your local school district. They are suppose to send you the paperwork you need to fill out next. This doesn't always happen. If you don't hear from the school district go ahead and fill out the IHIP for your child. Here is the way one family filled out this document. The next step I would recommend is to find a good local support group. They are the ones who have worked in your area. They know the ins and outs of dealing with each school district. Here is a good list to some in the state. There are others you can locate through yahoo groups or meetup.com. Your local children's librarian may be able to help you as well. Please let us know if there are specific questions we can try to answer for you. And welcome to the wonderful world of homeschooling.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota