New to homeschooling in Orange County, NY
    KimberlyR77 is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default New to homeschooling in Orange County, NY

Hi! Totally new to this and am hoping to meet other homeschoolers in my area. I just this week started homeschooling my 10 year old son. Feeling stressed so far but believe I am doing the right thing for him. Looking forward to making some new friends for both of us here!

~Kim

Unregistered Guest

Default hey there

Welcome to homeschooling! Search out your local LEAH chapter or checkout yahoo groups for secular support groups. Be sure to join HSLDA or Heritage Defense just in case there is a problem with any homeschool related issues, although Heritage will represent you for non-homeschool issues. Homeschooling seems to be gaining in popularity but not necessarily in acceptance, so be aware and cautious not scared. A neighbor might be well intentioned for calling truancy officers or CPS after seeing your child playing outside at 11 AM but that good intention will create a nightmare for your family. Know your rights and join a support group.

Homeschooling is such a blessing! My kids are doing so much better emotionally, academically and physically now as apposed to when they attended public and a pricey private one.

Ruth_Lanton is offline Member

Hi! I'm on Long Island, so we're not close enough to meet up in person. I've found some local homeschool groups through Facebook. Local homeschooling friends don't have to use the same curriculum you're using!

This isn't my first time homeschooling, but it's the first time after a few years' break and my first time using an online curriculum. I'm not quite sure how to use all the TFL features yet and I'm still not 100% convinced this is a good fit for my son. He's still in school for the rest of this school year but I plan to keep him home next year, so I'm checking out TFL now so I have time to research other options over the summer if necessary.