NY state IHIP questions
    avocadom Guest

Default NY state IHIP questions

Sorry I can't remember my username ever. So the superintendent's office sent me a packet of papers with their forms for the IHIP - one paper per subject and they filled out 3 subjects - I think Language Arts, Math and Science or Social Studies but in the packet I think there's like 8 required subjects. Do I need to fill out papers for all 8 subjects or only the ones they had set up? There's things like foreign language which I didn't think was required for 1st grade and a bunch of other stuff. I'm just not sure which ones I have to send to them. Also is just putting down T4L under resources enough? I think it covers most requirements but I'm not sure. And I know it can cover social studies as well. I remember a friend of mine had one thick book about the size of an encyclopedia that covered all 1st grade subjects, does that seem more appropriate? Sorry it's a bunch of questions. I just really want to get the IHIP out of the way.

fairylover is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

you are required to teach these subjects: "For grades one through six: arithmetic, reading, spelling, writing, the English language, geography, United States history, science, health education, music, visual arts, physical education, bilingual education and/or English as a second language where the need is indicated." So I would fill out a page for each subject. Time4Learning does not really cover health education, physical education, music, or visual arts. For health education we have used some of the series of books called Let's Read and Find Out. You can get them from Amazon for under $5.00. You can probably get them at the library as well. Physical education can be going to the gym, regular park days, or participation in a sport like soccer or t-ball. For visual arts going to an art museum on a regular basis works. We are fortunate to have an art museum nearby that offers monthly homeschool classes. For music, some people use dance or piano lessons. Others just listen to different kinds of music and discuss them. It doesn't have to be indepth. If you get connected with a local homeschool group, I'm sure there will be members who are willing to sit down and help you with the paperwork.

Please don't ever be afraid or apologize for asking questions. That is what we are here for. We may not always have the ansers but we are willing to try to help you find them.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota

Unregistered Guest

Quote Originally Posted by fairylover View Post
    you are required to teach these subjects: "For grades one through six: arithmetic, reading, spelling, writing, the English language, geography, United States history, science, health education, music, visual arts, physical education, bilingual education and/or English as a second language where the need is indicated." So I would fill out a page for each subject. Time4Learning does not really cover health education, physical education, music, or visual arts. For health education we have used some of the series of books called Let's Read and Find Out. You can get them from Amazon for under $5.00. You can probably get them at the library as well. Physical education can be going to the gym, regular park days, or participation in a sport like soccer or t-ball. For visual arts going to an art museum on a regular basis works. We are fortunate to have an art museum nearby that offers monthly homeschool classes. For music, some people use dance or piano lessons. Others just listen to different kinds of music and discuss them. It doesn't have to be indepth. If you get connected with a local homeschool group, I'm sure there will be members who are willing to sit down and help you with the paperwork.

Please don't ever be afraid or apologize for asking questions. That is what we are here for. We may not always have the ansers but we are willing to try to help you find them.
    can't log in for some reason but this is roseyday.

today is the day to have your IHIPs in to your school district's superintendent. If you sent in a LOI but never recieved a packet, you are not legally obligated to send in an IHIP. I feel you should send it in or hand it in person and request some kind of receipt for it. If you should not to send in your IHIP- be prepared to show the district which part of the law they violated (section 100.01 od ed. law in NYS) and present your grades, profress reports...you are not required to send them your IHIP at this point.

as for using the exact packet and forms they sent to you- you are not required to do that either. The form they send you is not grade specific and is used for all grades. Make your own form containing info. and subjects specific to your grade, same goes for the quarterly reports. Do not give them more than what is necessary. Contact your local LEAH group and HSLDA to know what is required of your verses what the district asks for.

fairylover is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Thanks for the reminder Roseyday. Sometimes we all forget those important dates.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota

MsLadyQ Guest

Default New To This

Hello,
    I am a mother of a kindergartner. I registered her in public school but her dad and I decided to do homeschooling after registering her. I am very new to this and would love it if someone would help me with getting started on the IHIP forms and what not.