Proof of Residency
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Proof of Residency

dondre is offline Junior Member

Default Proof of Residency

Hi There,

I am in the process(paperwork) of homeschooling my 5 year old son( 6 in October 2012). I live in Brooklyn. The city has requested proof of residence.

Questions: Is it regulation for the city to request a copy of my lease?
    Are they allowed to conduct an "Attendance Investigation" to verify my residence including a visit to the home of the primary leaseholder and to conduct interviews with my neighbors?

Thanks advance for all your comments and advice.

Kindest,

Dondre

fairylover is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

First I have to say that I am not an attorney. Having said that I would say that yes it is normal for the school board to request a copy of your lease or utility bill or something to prove residency. I have never heard of them conducting a visit to the home or interviewing neighbors unless there was a charge of educational neglect. Sounds a little strange to me. But then again, I'm not an attorney. You might want to check with one before you agree to any investigation. NYC does have some specific requirements that are not part of the state law so maybe that is why they are asking this. I would talk to other members of your local homeschool group to see if they had to meet these requirements as well.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota

roseyday is offline Junior Member Newbie

hello,I wish I checked the forum sooner- you need to contact HSLDA immediatly- they are a homeschool legal defense association. it sounds odd that in NYS a proof of residency would be required but south of Dutchess County and into westchester and the Island and Buroughs might as well be their own state- the rules change. There is a fee with HSLDA but they will work within your means. My advice is to never ever give the state or district more information than what is absolutely required by law. Know your rights and what is and is not required by the law and when in doubt contact HSLDA.
    Robin likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by fairylover View Post
    First I have to say that I am not an attorney. Having said that I would say that yes it is normal for the school board to request a copy of your lease or utility bill or something to prove residency. I have never heard of them conducting a visit to the home or interviewing neighbors unless there was a charge of educational neglect. Sounds a little strange to me. But then again, I'm not an attorney. You might want to check with one before you agree to any investigation. NYC does have some specific requirements that are not part of the state law so maybe that is why they are asking this. I would talk to other members of your local homeschool group to see if they had to meet these requirements as well.
    Thanks you so much Kathi. Can you recommend an active local homeschool group in Brooklyn. I have not had much success from my research.

Again, thank you.

Don-Andrew

Blog Entries

The Tri-County Homeschoolers group is really good. They have a newsletter and lots and lots of trips. They cover New York. New Jersey and Connecticut. I also like KidsPlayWell. They are both yahoo groups.

Robin is offline Senior Member

Here is NY law: http://www.hslda.org/laws/analysis/New_York.pdf

Here is part of it: "In the Matter of Dixon, No. N-37-86, Family Court of Oswego County, Nov. 21, 1988, the court held home visits to be unconstitutional and unenforceable. The court stated that the school district’s
    “desired on-site inspection was arbitrary, unreasonable, unwarranted, and violative of the"

Blog Entries

Oswego County seems to be one of the hardest districts to homeschool in. They do all kinds of inappropriate things.

Thanks all. Robin that's was an informative link! Roseyday, HSLDA is on my "Priority list", thanks. Kathi, I will definitely get in touch with the suggested groups. Knowledge is really powerful.

Don-Andrew

Blog Entries

Glad we could help out. Please let us know how you are doing.

Unregistered non member Guest

Default made up rules by NYC

Quote Originally Posted by dondre View Post
    Thanks you so much Kathi. Can you recommend an active local homeschool group in Brooklyn. I have not had much success from my research.

Again, thank you.

Don-Andrew
    Talking to your neighbors or asking for proof of residency is not normal but new.
    There is NO LEGAL reason for this. NYC rules go with the rules for NYS they are
    not separate. I am not an attorney but I keep up with the law seeing that I
    HS. Do NOT give more info than you have to. For years, I did not tell anyone
    that we HS We are a different culture, a peculiar people, royal priesthood and
    none of these scenarios are normal. I just found your forum. People who do not
    HS or want to create problems for your family will come up with new rules. When you send in your letter of intent, you are required to receive a package with ALL the rules dates etc. Talking to your neighbors or proving residency is NOT one of them. They are breaking privacy laws. Contact HSLDA NYC makes up lots of unwritten rules to intimidate HS families. The goal is to force them to send their kids to PS. They are losing $ when we HS

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast