Quarterly reports?
Like Tree5Likes
  • 3 Post By Ruth_Lanton
  • 1 Post By Ruth_Lanton
  • 1 Post By nelschooling

Thread: Quarterly reports?

Ruth_Lanton is offline Member

Default Quarterly reports?

It's just time for me to write up the first quarterly report for my son. I haven't done one of these in a number of years, and I wasn't using TFL at the time.

Any guidance would be appreciated.
    Ruth, single mom to Jack, 13, Hannah, 19, and Leah, 20.

I figured it out.

I'll share what I did in case it helps somebody else. At the top I had my contact info and my son's full name and grade (7)

"Curriculum materials can be found at www.time4learning.com. They are online, interactive lessons.

He has completed approximately 25% of the online curriculum in all subject areas: English Language Arts, Math, and Social Studies, all grade 7, and Middle School Earth and Space Science.

In English, topics included vocabulary, spelling, synonyms, antonyms, homophones, grammar, punctuation, context clues, and reading comprehension. He has also done independent reading and creative writing.

In Math, topics included Exponents, Prime and Composite Numbers, Measurement, Unit Comparison, Rate, Time, and Distance, and Prime Factorization.

In Social Studies, he has learned American History from the First Inhabitants through the American Revolution. We have also discussed current events.

In Science, he has learned about Natural Resources, Human Impact on the Environment, Pollution, Waste Reduction, Earth’s Layers, Earth’s Internal Heat, Fossils, Absolute and Relative Dating, and Minerals.

He has had regular physical activity and discussions about healthy living.

Jack has had no absences this quarter, and has exceeded the required hours of instruction (248)."

Now it's time for the 2nd quarterly report, which will be in pretty much the same format as the first one, but there's one thing I'm not sure about. For the first one, I wrote "has completed approximately 25% of the online curriculum." For the second, do I write "has completely approximately 50%" or "has completed approximately another 25% of the curriculum"?Also, that isn't quite true. We've had some delays this quarter and he's not "almost halfway through." I plan to send in the quarterly reports on the dates I selected in September, but continue having him work on the curriculum until he finishes, even if that means going over the summer. But the word "approximately" is in there, right?
    nelschooling likes this.

nelschooling is offline Junior Member

Hi Ruth,
    I do wish this was a more active forum... based on previous posts I have no idea if you or anyone will read this, but I figured I'd try anyway.

Curious to know, how exactly do you know your son "He has completed approximately 25%..." I can't find any way of configuring the reports to give me that kind of data, and the work I have to do to determine that myself seems a bit tedious.

On a plus, your post has helped me think through how to write my IHIP for the fall if I do choose to use T4L. Thank you for that!
    viperkitty likes this.

padawanmeg is offline Junior Member

Ruth,

That sounds good. I like loose words like approximate. I usually just put that my daughter was in attendance every day except otherwise noted for a total of x hours and give a brief description.

i have a question though since you're in NY. The people I am dealing with keep changing my dates for quarterly reports. I thought those were up to me because we are essentially making our own schedule. It seems minor but it's the second year now and it's really bugging me. Do they pick your quarterly report days?

CatTsering Guest

Red face NY quarterly reports

Ruth,
    Thanks for your input. We are in NJ now but always considering a NY move and I was wondering how Time4Learning works in NY and what you add to it if needed. I would appreciate any and all advice you have. NY seems so intimidating to homeschool.
    Thanks
    Cat