Questions about trying a new curriculum
    Equestrian Mom is offline Junior Member Newbie

Question Questions about trying a new curriculum

Hi,

I would like some feedback from others who have been home schooling. Here is our story:
    My daughter and I are new to Time 4 Learning, but we are not new to home schooling. I removed my daughter from public school after fifth grade and started the quest for a home schooling program. Needless to say, I was overwhelmed at the task of creating a "complete and comprehensive curriculum," so I turned to on on-line accredited middle school that appeared to have everything. They had everything: interactive activities, on-line classes, actual teachers for each subject, on-line "Black Board" session, and complete and records with progress reports for submission. Sounds great, right? Here's what you don't know until your child is a couple of months into the program, well past the refund time for our $1800, the work-load is EXCESSIVE! In some subjects there are 35-40 page reading lessons, plus a 2-3 page research paper with works cited, and in some cases a power point presentation that was 30-40 slides with transitions and graphics! Did I mention this was for 6 and seventh grade? Needless to say, my daughter was burned-out after two years and actually became so anxious over her work I started to look for other alternatives. That is what brought us to Time 4 Learning.

Now after an exhaustive search for alternatives I have found Time 4 Learning.
    Because I have never created a curriculum before I thought it would help to use this program for math and use the Charlotte Mason approach for the other core subjects since Science & Social Studies are not offered for eighth grade. As for ELA, I would like to cover some different literature that is offered here just to keep my daughter's interest.

Has anyone else used Charlotte Mason's approach and if so, what was your experience?

I appreciate any help or insight you may have to offer.

Thank you

fairylover is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

I have not tried any other curriculum. We have been quite happy with time4learning. I personally am dreading the day when my son ages out of this program and I have to find something else for him.

That does seem like an excessive amount of work. I think you did the right thing by ending that program. As far as science you might want to try Supercharged Science. It is around $40 a month. But if you don't like it you can just cancel it. They offer free online classes periodically. If you sign up for the free class, at the end of the class they offer one month for only $1. I have used it with my son as a supplement since he is so science minded. We will be going back to it soon.

I hope someone else will chime in here with their experiences with Charlotte Mason.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota

Equestrian Mom is offline Junior Member Newbie

Thank you
    All feedback is helpful.