syracuse ny home school.

Default syracuse ny home school.

Is there anyone else in the Syracuse area homeschooling? Just looking for advice.

nesaby is offline Junior Member

we are upstate ny but I am so new to this I couldn't even help good luck
    Leesha

I am about an hour south of you.

Mary El Guest

Default Upstate NY

I am looking to homeschool my 16 year old son. He is very bright; not thrilled about doing homework; but he has been suffering from generalized anxiety and recently moved him from private to public school. Changing schools didn't help. We are wondering if anyone else is doing the high school curriculum in NY State and if you could advise us on if NY State recognizes this program?

Jennifer B Guest

Default Kindergarten in Utica

Does anyone one know what the actual state law required paperwork is that I absolutely have to turn in is? I was given a IHIP form asking for basic info: name, age, grade and had spaces to fill in when I would be submitting quarterly reports for the school year. I received a curriculum work sheet asking to list subjects and text books that will be used but then I read that you do not have to submit a list of textbooks you want to use. Am I legally obligated to submit a "Plan of Instruction"? Is it true that the ONLY required subjects for Kindergarten are Patriotism/Citizenship, Alcohol/Drugs/Tobacco, Bicycle/Highway Safety, Fire/Arson Prevention Safety? This is the information I was given by my school district. The seem like strange subjects requirements for Kindergarten and things like Reading, Math, etc were not listed. Any feedback would be very much appreciated. Thanks everyone

Unregistered Guest

Default NY Laws

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer B View Post
    Does anyone one know what the actual state law required paperwork is that I absolutely have to turn in is? I was given a IHIP form asking for basic info: name, age, grade and had spaces to fill in when I would be submitting quarterly reports for the school year. I received a curriculum work sheet asking to list subjects and text books that will be used but then I read that you do not have to submit a list of textbooks you want to use. Am I legally obligated to submit a "Plan of Instruction"? Is it true that the ONLY required subjects for Kindergarten are Patriotism/Citizenship, Alcohol/Drugs/Tobacco, Bicycle/Highway Safety, Fire/Arson Prevention Safety? This is the information I was given by my school district. The seem like strange subjects requirements for Kindergarten and things like Reading, Math, etc were not listed. Any feedback would be very much appreciated. Thanks everyone
    In NY state Kindergarten is not a required "grade" (no student is required to go to Kindergarten) so that is why there are no subjects listed.

The Plan of Instruction is very vague. I normally list the general subtopics for each subject (I find them here: http://www.worldbook.com/typical-cou...t=1&Itemid=216) with a statement that the following subtopics may or may not be covered. You do not need to list text books. I usually make a general list of resource that I will me using: gym memberships, travel, books of choice, magazine subscriptions, podcasts, etc. I just list a bunch of things that we have and use.