Tax Credits?

Thread: Tax Credits?

Liz E is offline Member

Default Tax Credits?

Please read my post:
    Homeschooling in Buffalo: Homeschooling: Time to Change Political Parties?

Let me know what you think. I don't know how I started looking around on Ron Paul's web page, but it got me thinking.

fairylover is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

I think a tax credit like this could be a good thing. Many homeschoolers do give up one of the two breadwinners in the family so that they can homeschool. This kind of a credit could help make up for some of that. However, with anything the government "gives" us, it seems they take two more things away. I would be afraid of what this tax credit would cost us in terms of parental control, choice of curriculum, more and stricter laws to follow. I'm just a bit concerned about things like that. I know Ron Paul's thing is less government control. But I'm not sure we are ever going to see that happen.

I'm curious to see what others think of this.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota

Liz E is offline Member

My guess is that suspicion of what the government might require is what has prevented a pursuing of tax credits in the past. Given the view of parents by the educational system it doesn't strike me as an unfounded suspicion. From talking to my friends with kids in conventional schools, the requirements that they sign tests and homework etc strikes me as a distrust of parents. I have even heard that homework is given to very young children to "involve parents" making conventional school significantly more work for parents than homeschooling.

For credits to work in an advantageous way, we will need to get to a politically popular point where the benefits of homeschooling are widely known enough and the issues with conventional education come to a head. Sometimes it seems that we may be at that point now. Sometimes it still seems that we should continue to be cautious.

I guess I see my role as a homeschooling parent to educate people on the advantages of homeschooling as a model. I don't work that hard (due to health issues) at educating my kids, but the self-pacing (and self-motivation due to less stress) means that they are way ahead of their conventional school peers (my son finished Kindergarten before he turned 5). On the other hand, I know teachers who work super hard and still don't reach all the students in their classroom. Also, our family is very strong, less stressed, and ahead academically.

fairylover is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

I agree Liz. A lot of things would have to change before most homeschoolers would trust the government to give the credits and not require so much more from us. It would be nice if credits were freely given.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota