Welcome New York Homeschoolers
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Welcome New York Homeschoolers

fairylover is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Default Welcome New York Homeschoolers

If you are new to homeschooling in New York, you might want to check out our New York homeschool information page where we cover state-related laws, resources, and curriculum information. You also might want to download our free "Welcome to Homeschooling" guide, which includes comprehensive information about homeschooling in any state.

If you'd like to keep up with everything going on in this forum, you can easily subscribe by clicking on the "Subscribe Forum" link directly below the "New Topic" button at the top of this page. That way you won't miss any of the great info or discussions.
    Thanks for stopping by...why not take a minute and introduce yourself below?

Happy Homeschooling
    Last edited by fairylover; 09-22-2013 at 02:01 PM.

maryc927 is offline Member

Hi there,
    We have two children, ages 9 and 11(on March 31). We have home schooled both of them from the very beginning. I have been giving them end of the year tests from Seton myself but now our soon to be 11 year old is in the fifth grade. When is it necessary for us to start formally testing him with a certified teacher, at least once every other year, and then every year? I know it's supposed to happen soon, within a year, maybe it's this year.
    Thank you so much for any help you can give me...

Blog Entries

If I read the law correctly, you need to submit the results of an assessment test with your fourth quarter report. You could have started at 4th grade and then submit every other year or start now with fifth grade and then every other year. On the opposite years you need a written assessment. So you could test for fifth and seventh grade. Then annually after that. Hope this helps.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota

katyps Guest

Smile

Hi all! My name is Katy and I have 4 daughters. After a lot of frustration and heartache my husband and I have decided to take our 7 year old out of public school and bring her home for her education. She has ADHD and things were just not working for her in public school. This was a very difficult decision for us to make but now that we have committed to it I am so happy with our decision.
    After a lot of research I was excited to find this site! I will definitely be asking lots of questions and using all of you experienced homeschool parents for advice.

maryc927 is offline Member

Hi Kathi,
    Okay, so that's what I've been understanding and that's what I'm prepared to do but now I have another question. Our son is in fifth grade doing fourth grade English and math. Our daughter is in third grade doing second grade English and math. What level (grade) of Seton test do I order for our children? Do you know?
    Thank you so much for the help that you've given me,
    Mary

Blog Entries

I really don't know for sure. But if it were me and you have not tested them before, I would use the lower level. There is no point in giving the public schools any more information than they need to have.

Blog Entries

Ask away Katy. That's what we're here for.

kathylapan is offline Junior Member Newbie

Hi There. My husband and I have decided that at the end of this school year I am going to home school our two children: daughter age 8 (currently 2nd grade, operating at lower 1st grade) and son age 10 (currently 5th grade, operating at at least 9th, if not higher). We're doing this for a number of reasons, not the least being that my daughter is simply unable and unwilling to learn by rote memorization, and our son is very gifted and is held back by public education. (This is not to say my daughter is not also incredibly intelligent, she is, but she's also very much her own person).

I have a LOT of questions, I'm going to try to keep it to a few. I have been a teacher (middle school math in a Catholic school) in the past so as far as providing the direction and facilitating aspect, I feel fairly confident. Its more of the operational side with which I need help.

1) Physical Education. My daughter has horse riding lessons so I feel that is good for her, but does my son have to have some sort of curriculum based PE or is vigorous exercise sufficient?
    2) Art and Music. Do I have to have specific curricula for these, or can we do arts and music at home supplemented with the museums, theatre, and concerts? I can play some instruments, must I teach the children these? (neither are interested).
    3) Supplies. Previously, when I was teaching, we used the Saxon math system and I found it awesome. I'm going to use that system for math, and I found the Scott Foresman Social Studies books and workbooks that look fabulous. For reading/writing, etc... do you find it better to use texts/workbooks, reading books and assignments, a combination, or some other method? Also, what do you recommend for Science? Both of my children are very hands on and we live in a rural area, so Earth Science/Nature Studies should be handled, but for everything else?
    4) Does New York State, Washington County, or the school district help pay for any of the costs of home schooling, and how would I find out about that?
    5) Where can I find a resource for help completing the plan to submit to the school?
    6) How much do the annual tests cost? Does the every other year start from their last test given in public school?
    7) Do you think I could come up with more questions?? (*^_^*)

Thank you so much for your help. I'm both excited and terrified!
    "For this is the Lord's doing, and it is marvelous in our eyes" ~ Elizabeth I

Blog Entries

1) As I read the law it sounds like you have to teach physical education and health education. Most people that I know have their children enrolled in some sort of class such as gymnastics or something of the like. Some people use bowling as their physical education. When I was in college, bowling was an acceptable course. I'm sure you daughter's horse riding lessons would qualify. Some people write, "Weekly park day with xyz homeschooling group which includes a variety of games like soccer, baseball, and basketball." Or something to that effect and it has been accepted.

2) Many people attend classes at a local art museum to cover the art requirement. Time4Learning also now has Time4Art which is included in the curriculum. As far as music, I really don't know how you would address this aspect. We listen to a variety of music so we can say that we have studied different types of music.

3) There are so many choices of curriculum out there. You really have to decide what works best for your family. We have used time4learning since pre-K and we find that it meets our needs pretty well. We only supplement with monthly classes at the art museum, the environmental center, and local historical site. But each child works differently. You have to find what works for each of your children. You may find that works well for one does not work well for the other. I'm sure your children are learning plenty from being in nature and learning about the environment that they live in. We have done a few classes with SuperchargedScience. But for the most part, we find that tim4learning has all we need. My son is in third grade.

4) To my knowledge there is not funding available in New York to help pay for homeschooling. If you find out about any, please let the rest of us know but I'm pretty sure it does not exist.

5) There are several places online that you can find help in filling out the IHIP forms. The best thing would be to join one of the local support groups in your area and get help from the other mothers who are dealing with the same school district as you are. Once you gain a bit of experience in writing these you will be able to turn a fun day at the park into a most educational experience learning about the weather, the environment, insects, food preparation and service, animals around us, professionals in our community, and so many pther things. It's all in the way you write it up.

6) I can't really tell you about the costs of the annual testing. It varies so much depending on where you purchase the test, who administers the test, and things like that. Since the every other year testing requirement begins at fourth grade, most people I know will start testing in fifth grade. I don't think it has to be based on any testing they received in public school.

7) I'm sure you will come up with many other questions and I will be here to try to help you answer them. Hopefully some of the other parents on here will chime in as well. Please remember though that I am not a lawyer or a school administrator. I'm just a homeschooling mom who has been doing this for a few years now. Trying to help out where I can.

It is certainly an exciting and scary time. The most important thing is to relax. Your children will learn at their own speed.

giovannismommy is offline Junior Member Newbie

hi need some help here!!! I currently live in sc, i'm home schooling my son for the first time kindergarden. he is doing so much better but if I decide to move back home in ny, I'm going crazy looking for homeschool programs can anyone help? he is now enrolled in k12 love love!!! this program i hate to leave it!!! its free and wonderful!!! but again can anyone tell me any programs at this point public free would be great because we are excepted but if I have to pay i have no choice if its afordable.. thanks in advance! janine

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast