When a teenager does not want to do homeschool anymore
    melamike4 is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default When a teenager does not want to do homeschool anymore

Hello I need help! We have a soon to be 16 year old son with learning disabilities. We are currently teaching him 6th grade. He is really struggling and does not want to do school anymore. He wants to drop out! Can he do this in a homechool setting? Any information will be greatly appreciated.

Michael

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Default Re: When a teenager does not want to do homeschool anymore

Hi! I'm not in New York, but I have some experience and am interested in homeschool law, since every state is so different. New York is known to be THE most regulated state when it comes to homeschooling. Here is what the law says about remaining in school when homeschooled:

They must remain in school up until the last day of session in the school year in which they turn 16, or until they graduate from high school.
    However, any local board of education can vote to raise the compulsory attendance age in its school district from 16 to 17 for minors who are not employed.

I would make sure he has a job or check with the school district to be sure they have not raised the compulsory attendance age in your district. My interpretation of the law (and I am not an attorney) is that he can quit as soon as he has "finished" the current school year, since he is sixteen.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!