Wish to Start Homeschooling - Unsure where to start
    CeeJay is offline Junior Member Newbie

Post Wish to Start Homeschooling - Unsure where to start

Hi,

I have a 5.5 year old son who is having problems adjusting to Kindergarten. He has attended the same school since 3 yrs old and has never had a problem. Now he is marching to beat of his own drum and constantly getting into trouble with the other children. I have recently learned that he is the only child in his Kindergarten class that has scored in the 98th percentile on a state exam and all other assessments have been 100%. The kids bother him because he finishes his work faster that everyone else and he has a super interest in numbers, shapes and art. I am pulling him from school because I want to be able to give him education at his level and the school is doing nothing to help him.

Since he has been in Kindergarten for 3 weeks does he have to continue at this grade level if home schooled?
    Is this program a certified NYS curriculum that I can use just submit and say he has completed?
    I don't know how to start homeschooling, NYS has so many regulations it make my head spin.
    Will this program help me accomplish what I need to accomplish with my child?

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Wish to Start Homeschooling - Unsure where to start

Welcome to the Time4Learning parent forum! You're right about New York having a lot of homeschool regulations. It is known to be THE most regulated state. To make matters more complicated, some cities have different regulations. Since you need to "annually provide written notice to the superintendent of schools of their school district of residence of their intention to educate their child at home by July 1st of each school year," I would start there and have them guide me, since you really are obligated to follow their rules in New York.

In any other state, I would say to start him wherever you feel he fits, but New York might have their own ideas. There's nothing to keep you from teaching him more than they require, though.

Many, many New York residents use Time4Learning. You can print the scope and sequence and that usually suffices for your IHIP. Yes, this program will help you, as you have a parent dashboard with a lot of helpful tools. You can print progress reports, print the scope for the IHIP, and so forth.

Here's a good place to find New York's Homeschool laws.

Here's Time4Learning's material about homeschooling in New York, which was prepared by New York residents who use Time4Learning.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!