1st time Home School Dad in Ner Bern, NC
    JohnsonJ is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default 1st time Home School Dad in Ner Bern, NC

Hello,
    My name is John Johnson I live in New Bern, NC and I am a stay at home dad of a 12 yr old daughter (6th grade) and 15 yr old son (9th grade). Both my kids were previously home schooled by my wife for 2 years and then they went to a private school last year and now back to home school, where I found that they can get the best education possible. This is my 1st year doing this so I am unsure of where to go or what to do. A bit about myself, I served in the Marines from 1993-2001 and I have a degree in Information Systems/Networking. I worked at a Community College for 7 years as a IT Tech. My wife is a Nurse. We have been married 17yrs now. My wonderful wife and her career choice has afforded me a great opportunity to not only home school my children, but to bond with them as well. I am not sure how many Dads home school. Would be great if the numbers shocked me, but in the end Mom or Dad it doesn't matter because of the common goals we share of a great education for our children. With that said I am really lost on several fronts here. I am very happy that I found this website and I hope this is a good start for me. First off are there others who home school near me? What activities are your children involved in outside of school? The number 1 issue I have is with helping my kids to socialize with other kids their ages and not just each other. We don't live in a community with other kids. Mostly older folks that live around us. I really do not want to deprive them of hanging out with other kids. I want them to socialize with other kids that they can relate to in some manner. I have no clue where to go to accomplish this, where to start.. Again all of this is new to me and I am learning. If anyone can offer me some friendly advice, assistance or Tips would be greatly appreciated.

Nicole McGhee is offline Senior Member

Hi John! Welcome to the forum and to homeschooling (again!). It sounds like your biggest questions are relating to outside activities. In a community that doesn't have a lot of children, you might have a harder time finding activities for your children to participate in, but hopefully it's not impossible. I would do a search online for local homeschool groups/co-ops to see if you find any that are active. If your kids love sports, you can search for those, library groups/reading clubs, music lessons, etc. Homeschooling doesn't need to be a solitary adventure! You might have to broaden your horizon as far as distance traveled is concerned (maybe a great activity is a few extra minutes away but worth it for the experience) or step out of your comfort zone and find new hobbies for the kids, but it can be done!

I'd also check out NCHE, find your region, and see what groups they have listed. I think I saw some that were in your area, not sure if they are currently meeting up or not but it would be worth checking out!

Way to go on being a homeschool dad! What a gift to your kids!
    ~Nicole
    Homeschooling My Three Sons
    5th Grade, 1st Grade, and a preschooler!
    Army Family since 2003

Also, this homeschool day sounds really fun!!
    ~Nicole
    Army Family since 2003

JohnsonJ is offline Junior Member Newbie

Nicole, Thanks very much for the advice.. I might even consider starting up my own group. If I can figure all that out. I know that they have at least 1 co-op group.. it looks like they are most active in summer.. Anyways Tryon Palace sounds awesome.. Thanks again for your help.. Means the world to me as a Dad doing this for the 1st time.

Hi John! Just wanted to check in, see how things were going in your homeschool!
    ~Nicole
    Army Family since 2003