This Is all so new to me
    BURGUNDYEMT34 is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default This Is all so new to me

My biggest fear is that I will leave something out and my son will not get all of the instruction he needs. He is a great kid but he has ADD/ADHD that developed after a terrible accident. I chose homeschooling because the alternative was having him go to school on strong medication every day. He's medication free now and I'm starting to see my little boy again. I look forward to getting to know soe of you and I hope that we can help eachother out.

fairylover is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

A lot of us worry about leaving something out or forgetting to teach something. I am of the opinion that as long as our children can read and write, there isn't anything they can't figure out how to do. To me reading is the foundation. Almost all children are born with a huge desire to learn. We really can't stop them. So I have learned to just relax and go with the flow. If there is something I am missing, my son will let me know if it's important to him.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota

karenhs2 is offline Member

There is such a huge body of knowledge these days that every child has gaps! Like Kathi said, if they know how to read and write and how to use information resources, they can do anything. Your son is going to be so much better off without having to take the medication!! Do you know any homeschoolers local to you?

fairylover is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

There is a whole thread on biggest fears over in the Homeschool Questions Forum. You might want to check that out.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota

MamaToHerRoo is offline Senior Member

I'm not sure about the medication issue. I fought against medicating my ADHD daughter because I was afraid it would put "the spark" out. I was afraid that it would change who she was, or make her into a drooling zombie. When I finally broke down and spoke with the pediatrician and about my fears and concerns, he assured me that properly adjusted medication did not make the child a drooling zombie, or change their personality. After fighting the dangers of impulsiveness which is part of the ADHD for my child... ("Sammi, get off the mantle! what are you doing?!" "I'm jumping to the sofa"...did I mention it was over 10 feet away!!) I decided that if the medication would help slow her brain down enough for her to at least consider the consequences of jumping off the top of the mantle, or standing on top of the 6 foot chain link fence, or running after a ball into the street, then it might save her life, or prevent major injury. Those were some of the milder issue with impulsiveness that we encountered, many of them were incredibly dangerous. Every child is different, and every situation is different, and the decision to medicate must be made within each family, and with careful consultation of the child's doctor. We ultimately chose to medicate, and our lives are better and safer for it. School is even better, in my daughter's words, "I can finally catch my thoughts."
    I'm with Kathi though, if the child can read...not only is our world open to them, but many imaginary worlds as well, and there is a serious richness in that
    Linda
    Homeschooling one for 8 years and counting!