Does Time 4 Learing Curriculum Meet NC State Requirements
    Kevin Stanley is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Does Time 4 Learing Curriculum Meet NC State Requirements

My son is starting 6th grade and is new to home schooling. We read the requirements on the NCDNPE website for curriculum and saw that web based schooling was allowed as a suppliment but not as primary teaching. Is there a reason this cannot be used as primary teaching curriculum with my guidance and supervision to administer and help answer questions? If not, what is other good recommendations. I really prefer web based teaching vs. paper back books.

pandahoneybee is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

HI Kevin

I use Time4learning as our online supplement program and then we do unit studies on things that interest my boys or in any areas that they need extra work in (in our case that is writing and spelling also we do some fun science experiments)! I used it like this for the past 3 years now I have a 9th grader and I am doing subjects that are required but still geared to his interests. So basically I did exactly what you are talking about doing with your son with both my boys and i tell you what they are doing great and loving to learn again
    pandahoneybee
    My personal blog- Pandahoneybee's Homeschooling Adventure

Unregistered Guest

Exclamation Nc requirements

N.C. has requirements, but you can use T4L as your primary schooling. The only mandatory requirement for N.C. is they are given and pass a EOG test for there grade level in order to move on.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Stanley View Post
    My son is starting 6th grade and is new to home schooling. We read the requirements on the NCDNPE website for curriculum and saw that web based schooling was allowed as a suppliment but not as primary teaching. Is there a reason this cannot be used as primary teaching curriculum with my guidance and supervision to administer and help answer questions? If not, what is other good recommendations. I really prefer web based teaching vs. paper back books.

pandahoneybee is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    N.C. has requirements, but you can use T4L as your primary schooling. The only mandatory requirement for N.C. is they are given and pass a EOG test for there grade level in order to move on.
    EOGs are something that you would have to take to reenter the school system as far as I know. EOGs that the schools give are not available to homeschoolers or so i was told. We use for our End of the Year testing is the Woodcock Johnson, CA and Iowa are two others that I know of available to homeschoolers
    pandahoneybee
    My personal blog- Pandahoneybee's Homeschooling Adventure

karenhs2 is offline Member

Homeschoolers do not take EOGs. In fact, an EOG would not satisfy our requirement as it is the wrong kind of test. We are required to administer (or have administered) a nationally normed standardized achievement test that includes at least grammar, spelling, reading and math once every 12 months. There are no minimum score requirements! We only have to make sure this is done, we do not have to "pass" anything.

There are actually 3 annual requirements in NC, none of which are burdensome. We have to keep attendance (you determine what constitutes a school day), we have to keep immunizations records (just a copy of what shots have been given OR an exemption letter) and the testing. That is it. We have voluntary reporting of the attendance and testing. Although there is often wording that suggests that if you do not report voluntarily, you will receive a home visit, the last home visit was in 2001 (as per Dr. Flood, head of NCDNPE). The office has only 5.75 employees to cover over 40,000 home schools as well as all the private schools.

To answer the original question:

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Stanley View Post
    Please ignore this. The NCDNPE is bound by the wording of our homeschool law where it defines homeschooling which unfortunately creates a lot of ambiguities. Here is the wording:

"Home school" means a nonpublic school in which one or more children of not more than two families or households receive academic instruction from parents or legal guardians, or a member of either household.

So NC defines homeschooling as children receiving their academic instruction from the parents. I have homeschooled in 5 other states and did not encounter this. It creates issues with all kinds of resources unnecessarily. Although it may appear simple, one could actually debate the "true" meaning for hours. I will try to give you the simple answer but I can always add more. Here goes - if you ask DNPE, then they have to try to answer based on the law and since that law defines homeschooling by who is giving the academic instruction, over the years they have developed a number of ways to try to make that make sense. So they will use words like "primary" versus "secondary" instruction. Or they will take about "remedial, tutoring or supplemental." All of this is semantics that tries to say that it is okay if the parent is giving most of the instruction or the first instruction or the foundational instruction. And when you finish that long conversation, it will all come back to this - NCDNPE has absolutely NO way of knowing what instruction was primary (or any other word you want to insert) and what was secondary. And they know that! But they can't just say it doesn't matter because they are charged with regulating based on our law.

All that to say that there are thousands of homeschoolers in NC using web based instruction, classes, tutors, and all kinds of outside resources just as it should be. I have used T4L for my youngest child for the last three years and recommended it to quite a few other NC parents.