EOG Testing - Hope I'm not too late!!!!
    cybermom is offline Junior Member

Default EOG Testing - Hope I'm not too late!!!!

Here goes!

When I registered my son for home school, he had just turned 6, about 5 mths prior, and I know he really didn't meet any of the homeschool requirements regarding testing, etc., but he was in the 1st grade that next school year, and testing still wasn't required at that age, as noted by NCDNPE.

Since he turned 7 last year and is now in the 2nd grade, I am going to have to test him before April or May this yr. because he will be 8 yrs old this year, in March. I've already ordered his test and should be receiving it soon. I know I could have given it to him as soon as he turned 7, but he is horrible at testing, but is very bright and smart when doing his regular work, so I thought I'd give him a little more time to prepare. I thought it was a good idea at the time, but not so much right now, eventhough, homeschool testing really isn't about their scores, but more of where they are on a "learning level". Now I'm scrambling to test him before he turns 8, as required by the NCDNPE. Did I do this completely backwards? I think I'm still okay, as long as he get his scores in before his 8th birthday, right?? The only thing, going forward, I'm going to have to test him around this time each year, which seems weird.

Freaking out, right about now!!!
    Cybermom.

Nicole McGhee is offline Senior Member

Ok, first off, don't freak out!! NCDNPE doesn't ask that you turn his scores in, just that you keep record of them should they ever be necessary. I think if you test him in March, you'll be fine. Many people test in the spring, so you'll be testing about the same time as a lot of other people test. If you want to continue testing him in March, then you can do that, but really if you test him in March and decide next year to test him in April, I think that would be ok. Also, it shouldn't make any difference when you get his scores back, just when he takes the test.

I hope that helps, but would gladly answer any other questions you have, the best I can anyway!
    ~Nicole
    Homeschooling My Three Sons
    5th Grade, 1st Grade, and a preschooler!
    Army Family since 2003

Nicole,

Thank you so much for the reponse. I guess my concern was timing, and that I didn't want his 8th bday to sneak upon me without him being tested, plus, I wasn't sure how long it takes for the test to arrive, especially, during the testing season when a lot of people will be ordering them.

Thanks again!
    Kathy

We use an online test, so we get it right away and his results immediately. I'm honestly not sure how long it will take the test to get to you. However, I think if you are doing what you can to follow guidelines and that he tests each school year, then you're doing it right.
    ~Nicole
    Army Family since 2003

Unregistered Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Nicole McGhee View Post
    We use an online test, so we get it right away and his results immediately. I'm honestly not sure how long it will take the test to get to you. However, I think if you are doing what you can to follow guidelines and that he tests each school year, then you're doing it right.
    Would you mind sharing what online testing you are using and where we get it; also cost would be nice too. Thanks a bunch!

Horace Oakley Guest

Default DNPE requirements

Im very new to homeschooling myself so do your own research to be certain, but according to the homeschool guidebook on the dept. of non-public education website for NC the end-of-grade test are not acceptable for homeschooled students.They(dnpe) do require a yearly standardized achievement test be administered to homeschoolers and they provide a list of acceptable test as well as vendors to obtain the test from.We plan to use the CAT because of its national recognition here is the link to the guidebook http://www.ncdnpe.org/documents/HomeSchoolGuideBook.pdf

I hope I didn't confuse anyone. I did mean the standardized achievement test. Been homeschooling him since he was 5, almost three years now, and the "virtual public homeschool" that I had him in required an end-of-grade testing, even at 6 yrs old. But yes, I am aware that dnpe requires the standardized achievement test. Already have everything lined up and ready to go, we are doing the CAT as well, but I think I will try the "Iowa or Terra Nova" the next time because they have a lot of extras included, as the CAT is just basic, which is a good starter test.

Thanks for posting the link though, as there might be new comers who might not be aware or know where to find some of this info. I keep all of these links under "my favorites" tab so that I can quickly go straight to it, but sometimes it's just easier to ask someone who already been through it.

Cybermom,

We've also used CAT in the past and I'm interested into looking into others this year as well.

Previous poster,

I purchase the CAT from Christian Liberty. They have online and paper tests available. You can purchase the CAT from a number of places, we've just ordered from that place so that's why I keep ordering there. It's $25.00 for the test.
    ~Nicole
    Army Family since 2003