Field Trip Ideas, Summer Camps, Musuems, Parks, Learning Centers and MORE in NC!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    pandahoneybee is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Default Field Trip Ideas, Summer Camps, Musuems, Parks, Learning Centers and MORE in NC!

HELLO EVERYONE IN THE FABULOUS STATE OF NORTH CAROLINA!

I HAVE STARTED A LIST OF FUN THINGS TO DO IN NC AND I AM HOPING THAT YOU ALL WILL ADD TO IT! I KNOW THERE IS NO WAY THAT I CAN KNOW ALL THE GREAT PLACES TO TAKE YOUR KIDS IN NC BUT HERE ARE A FEW I FOUND FOR YOU TO CHECK OUT. MOST ARE MUSEUMS BUT I WOULD LOVE TO ADD OTHERS TYPES OF FUN PLACES THAT YOU GO TO TEACH YOUR KIDS SOMETHING NEW (just click on the name to get to the home website for each place)
    MUSEUMS

Aurora Fossil Museum 400 Main Street Aurora NC 252-322-4238
    Old Baldy Lighthouse and Smith Island Museum Bald Head Island NC 910-457-7481

Smith-McDowell House Museum 283 Victoria Road Asheville Nc 828-253-9231
    Hendrick Motorsports Museum Charlotte NC 704-455-3400
    New Hope Valley Railway Museum 5121 Daisey St NC 919-362-5416
    Cherokee County Historical Museum 87 Peachtree St Murphy NC 828-837-6792
    Nasher Museum of Art at Duke University Durham NC 919-684-5135

Children’s Museum of Winston-Salem 390 South Liberty St Winston-Salem 336-723-9111

Children’s Museum of Wilmington 116 Orange St Wilmington NC 910-254-3534

Marbles Kids Museum 201 east Hargett Street Raleigh NC 919-834-4040
    North Carolina Museum of Natural Sciences 11 West Jones Street Raleigh NC 919-733-7450

The Museum of Life and Science is GREAT!
    433 Murray Avenue Durham, NC 27704 (919) 220-5429

The N.C. Transportation Museum is now open Mondays (and every other day of the week)! We've moved to our warm weather hours, open seven days a week through October.The N.C. Transportation Museum offers tours, programs, and reduced train ride/turntable fares for educational and other preformed groups of 15 or more

Graveyard of Atlantic Museum
    Hatteras, NC
    252-986-2995
    http://www.graveyardoftheatlantic.com

Summer Camps
    North Carolina Summer Camps

Noah's Landing Junior Zookeeper Camps

Carolina Raptor Center is thrilled to present our Kids for Conservation Summer Day Camp! We are dedicated to a mission of environmental education, with a goal of engaging and inspiring our campers to make environmentally friendly choices

Snow Camp Outdoor Theatre Snow Camp NC 336-376-6948

LEARNING CENTERS

Duke Lemur Center

www.lemur.duke.edu/
    Duke University 3705 Erwin Road Durham, NC 27705 (919) 489-3364

Carolina Tiger Rescue
    www.carolinatigerrescue.org/
    1940 Hanks Chapel Rd. Pittsboro, NC 27312 (919) 542-4684

Morehead Planetaruin And Science Center 250 East Franklin St Chapel Hill NC 919-962-1236

HISTORICAL SITES~

Joel Lane Museum House Inc
    www.joellane.org
    728 West Hargett Street Raleigh, NC 27603-1662 (919) 834-7838

Mordecai Historical Park
    Mordecai Park and tours info
    1 Mimosa Street Raleigh, NC 27604-1297 (919) 857-4364

Bennett Place~ this is a neat place to take the kids, they give tours that have alot of information about the Civil War

Historic Yates Mill County Park

4620 Lake Wheeler Road Raleigh, NC 27603 Phone: 919-856-6675

Horne Creek Living Historical Farm Farm Life / Agriculture
    Once the Hauser family farm, Horne Creek enables visitors to experience farm life in North Carolina's northwestern Piedmont circa 1900. The site features the family's original farm house, a tobacco curing barn, a corn crib, adjacent fields under cultivation, and even a heritage apple orchard. Through programs ranging from old fashioned ice cream socials to an annual corn shucking frolic, Horne Creek Living Historical Farm provides a unique opportunity to learn about our rural past.

Wright Brothers National Memorial, located in Kill Devil Hills, North Carolina, commemorates the first successful, sustained, powered flights in a heavier-than-air machine.

Battleship North Carolina~
    Standing with quiet dignity and majesty across the river from downtown Wilmington, the Battleship NORTH CAROLINA beckons visitors to walk her decks and envision daily life as well as fierce combat that her crew faced in the Pacific Theatre during World War II.

Field trip Ideas
    Sleeping with the Fishes at the NC Aquarium at Fort Fisher

Camp Flintlock
    www.campflintlock.com 1580 King Mill Road Four Oaks, NC 27524-9048 (919) 938-1776

Reed Gold Mine: A cool site for kids and adults
    9621 Reed Mine Road, Midland, NC‎ - (704) 721-4653‎

Tweetsie Railroad - An exciting kid friendly amusement park in the North Carolina Mountains

Carolina Raptor Center is dedicated to environmental stewardship and the conservation of birds of prey through education, research, and the rehabilitation of injured and orphaned raptors.

The Lazy 5 Ranch in Mooresville is an awesome drive through animal park. It's even better if you can drive through in the bed of a pick up truck, you can touch the animals that come up to the vehicle while you are feeding them.

Last edited by pandahoneybee; 04-28-2011 at 04:49 PM.
    pandahoneybee
    My personal blog- Pandahoneybee's Homeschooling Adventure

Unregistered Guest

Post More places in NC

Here are a couple more places people could go for a field trip. One is the NC zoo and another one is Discovery Place and the nascar hall of fame in Charlotte.

pandahoneybee is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

hey thanks
    pandahoneybee
    My personal blog- Pandahoneybee's Homeschooling Adventure

tiselput Guest

Thumbs up Tiger World

Tiger World is in Rockwell, NC. When they have cubs you can have some time to have contact with one, for an extra charge.

Old Salem is in Winston Salem , NC
    Sci Works is too.

tandt812 is offline Junior Member Newbie

We are stationed at Cherry Point, any suggestions for this area ??? Thanks

Horace Oakley Guest

Dont forget the Arboretum in Asheville,its free and Highly Educational not to mention tons of FUN for kids and parents

tonysybil Guest

Default Places to Go in NC

Planetarium in Ocean Isle and there's also a little Fish Aquarium.

Unregistered Guest

Talking More in Salisbury, NC

There is also Horizons Unlimited, Nature and Learning Center, Patterson's Farms, Lazy 5 Ranch, Grime's Mill, Dr. Josephus Hall House Museum, and the Stone House. All very great places that the schools in Rowan and surrounding counties bring their students to for fun learning experiences.

Unregistered Guest

Cool been there, done that!

Hi all, I have lived in Gaston, Char-Meck, Cabarrus, Rowan, and Pender counties. I've been on most of these field trips as a student, a parent, and as a teacher. Let me know if i can help!

Susan

catalystofun is offline Junior Member Newbie

Hello, everyone!

I conduct programs at senior facilities that I'd now like to offer the homeschooling community, as I've been urged to do by other parents. One is called 'Time Travelers', which explores various decades of history through a presentation that covers the major events of the period, the presidents that served then, the culture and celebrities of that era, and even its prices and most popular baby names. While dressed in a style akin to the women's fashion of the day, I showcase a display of antiques from that era and, when available, play snippets of its popular music and actual radio broadcasts (i.e., the announcement of the Hindenberg explosion, Roosevelt's fireside chats, King Edward's abdication speech, etc.) Truly an informative and engaging way to 'go in one era and out the other' that's fun for all ages!

Time Traveler eras offered:
    • The Colonial era
    • The Civil War years -1880s
    • 1890-1900
    • 1900-1910
    • 1910-1920
    • 1920-1930
    • 1930-1940
    • 1940-1950
    • 1950-1960
    • 1960-1970

In another program I offer, called C.A.T.S. (Cat Advocacy Traveling Show), guests learn the behavioral traits of our feline friends and how to interpret their body language, as well as trivia relating to cats and how cats benefit us, from the physiological effects of petting a cat to their role as heroes and helpmates. I am seeking a cat shelter with which to partner, to bring one of its cats (obviously of appropriate temperament and outfitted with 'soft claws') to visit with guests while I give the presentation. However, for now, I can bring cat statues and cat books as visual props, instead (which would, admittedly, be a poor substitute for the real deal, but still interesting, nonetheless!)

Other options include presentations on:

• the history of afternoon tea parties (with hats for guests to borrow and antique tea implements as props);
    • an introduction to Israel or Spain, wearing a dress that is authentic from the country (Israel) or reminiscent of a flamenco dancer (Spain), with souvenirs from that country. Both programs cover the geography of the nation, its culture, major historical events, and famous rulers.

Each of my programs is 1-hour long. Rates for groups within Raleigh for the Time Travelers series are $100; the CATS program: $75; and all others, $85.00. An additional 5-$10 for gas/travel may be charged for groups beyond Raleigh.

Please contact me at 919-954-9745 if interested in scheduling a program for your students. I hope to hear from you and to enrich your classes with what I have to offer soon!

Karen Raines
    Senior Play List, Inc.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast