Giving Time4Learning a try.
    leslie is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Giving Time4Learning a try.

Hello,
    I live in NC and have decided to give T4L a try. I have a 9 year old daughter and a 7 year old son. Don't know why, but we all seem to be burned out already....we only started in August. I am interested to find out how people in NC make the T4L work for them? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Leslie

topsytechie is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Giving Time4Learning a try.

Welcome, Leslie! So glad you found Time4Learning and this forum. This is our 10th year of homeschooling in NC and my youngest son's third year with the curriculum. October is a natural month for "burnout" both in the public schools and in homeschooling. The newness of everything has worn off, and the remaining parts of the school year kind of stretch out before you in a daunting row!

One strategy I've heard a lot of homeschoolers say works for them is doing a six-weeks-on, and one-week-off schedule. It makes for slightly more of a year-round school schedule, but can really head off some of the worst of the doldrums.

There are so many neat ways that T4L'ers have figured out how to schedule their days with the curriculum. The Welcome to Homeschooling guide includes some great tips, but there are a lot of threads on the forum about this subject as well. Just type in "Schedule" in the search module, and you will get a lot of interesting ideas.

Please don't hesitate to ask any more specific questions. That's what we're here for!!

pandahoneybee is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Hi Leslie

Our family too uses T4L to keep us from getting too burned with traditional school type activities. My son who has ADHD enjoys the T4L part of the school day the most with the cartoon like instruction. We also do a game or park day with our homeschoolers group once a week to let them get their out of the house time with friends. This really helps us along with not keeping a schedule that is the same every day. I try to make our homeschooling less like public school and more like a fun day of learning (whenever possible).

Try to remember that everyone gets burned especially the first year (for me anyways). If your kids are fresh out of school then you need to remember that they probably were not getting as much info as they are in half a day with you. Mix the day up with some hands on experiments or crafts remember you want them to love learning. It will make your experience better as well but they will not be so reluctant to learn on the days with more information if you can make it fun as possible. (especially this first year)

If you have any questions feel free to email me and I can try to give you some of our experiences to try and help the days go easier.
    Michelle
    pandahoneybee
    My personal blog- Pandahoneybee's Homeschooling Adventure

denimay is offline Senior Member

Leslie.........give them a "vacation" ....like two weeks....doesn't have to be a free-for-all....pick an easy project for them to do.....like researching halloween and decorating the house, cutting jack-o-lanterns and roasting the seeds and making pumpkin pie from scratch. If you don't celebrate halloween, you could do something else connected to fall. Go out and find 5 to 10 leaves...match the leaves to the tree and research that for a short report. Learn to crochet and make an afgan in fall colors. Make a list of books on fall themes and read those.......turn one into reader's theatre and perform it for friends or family. You could also let them paint their bedroom and rearrange the furniture........make and hang a bookshelf......rake the leaves and/or plant some fall/winter flowers.

Some really fun fall activities are cooking and canning, quilting and knitting, reading and retelling stories.

Everybody needs a break once in awhile. If you homeschool all year round, you can break when you need it and still keep pretty much on track. just my 20 cents...........deni....
    deni may ............
    artist and teacher

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

http://www.currclick.com/?affiliate_id=15313

leslie is offline Junior Member Newbie

Thanks Deni.........that seemed to lighten my burdens. Leslie