Help getting started - moving to NC
    borges is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Help getting started - moving to NC

Hi,
    I am new to the forum. I was trying to find information on homeschooling in NC, specifically Wake and Durham counties. We are probably moving to NC from MD in the winter and need to look for housing, but were wondering if there are any differences on how each county handles homeschooling in NC. Here in MD there are, and some counties are more picky and traditionally not homeschooling friendly. Also, are there Christian homeschooling coops/groups in those counties that you could refer us to?
    Thanks in advance for pointing us in the right direction!

B Family

ChristineBBD is offline Junior Member

Default I'm in Durham county

Hi, I have much experience with the school system, both public and private. Statewide, all the counties follow the same state law regarding home schooling. Through the years, my children have been home-schooled, attended public school and a charter school (I'm the founder of the charter school they attended). Currently I homeschool my 10 year old son, my daughter is in college with a 4.0 :~) and I plan on homeschooling my son for the next 3 years. For high school I will send him to private school.

All the counties, including Durham and Wake, are pro-homeschooling. (We can thank activists who worked very hard in the early 90's to get our current law passed through the legislature.) You won't have a bit of trouble. All you have to do to register your child is submit the proper paperwork along with a copy of the high school diploma of the primary teacher. You can download the form on the web, and fax it back. And then once a year use the NC standard test to show the state you are doing the job. That's it.
    Last edited by ChristineBBD; 12-25-2011 at 12:33 PM.
    Christine