Help Please

Thread: Help Please

Momof2girls is offline Junior Member Newbie

Exclamation Help Please

Hi, I am totally new to homeschooling (and clueless...lol), so ANY help would be appreciated! I have 2 girls, 1 in first grade and 1 in 7th grade. My 7th grader has always been a A/B student with no problems until this school year. She has straight A's with the exception of her math (pre-algebra) and science class, she is failing both! Amazing that both these classes are taught by the same teacher and the school is not concerned the least that she will fail her grade unless something is figured out as to why this is occurring. And of course I have been getting nowhere with the teacher the last 9 weeks! So, my husband and I have decided that home schooling seems to be the answer to get her thru this year, and then plan to send her back to her school next year for 8th grade. (I wouldn't mind homeschooling her until highschool, but she really wants to go back with her friends). My biggest fear is her being able to pass the EOG's at the end of this year to get back in school for 8th grade. Her and I have looked thru T4L lessons and we feel that the LA and Math are on track as far as what she is working on in school currently. However, noticed that the Science only goes up to 6th grade, and the SS lessons are about American History (she is working on World History in school).

So, my questions are.....I plan to use T4L for Math and LA along with T4W for essays. Also adding in library weekly visits, field trips, and museum visits. But, does anyone have any sugestions about Science and Social Studies? I guess I am so nervous b/c I want to make sure we cover the right info for her to be on track when she goes back. And is there any requirements in NC as far as how/what I teach....like does it somewhat have to be thru an accredited program?
    And is there anything else that I am missing or not thinking about??

Thanks for any answers....like I said before, I am clueless, and plan to start her homeschooling after the Christmas break.

karenhs2 is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by Momof2girls View Post
    Hi, I am totally new to homeschooling (and clueless...lol), so ANY help would be appreciated! I have 2 girls, 1 in first grade and 1 in 7th grade. My 7th grader has always been a A/B student with no problems until this school year. She has straight A's with the exception of her math (pre-algebra) and science class, she is failing both! Amazing that both these classes are taught by the same teacher and the school is not concerned the least that she will fail her grade unless something is figured out as to why this is occurring. And of course I have been getting nowhere with the teacher the last 9 weeks! So, my husband and I have decided that home schooling seems to be the answer to get her thru this year, and then plan to send her back to her school next year for 8th grade. (I wouldn't mind homeschooling her until highschool, but she really wants to go back with her friends). My biggest fear is her being able to pass the EOG's at the end of this year to get back in school for 8th grade. Her and I have looked thru T4L lessons and we feel that the LA and Math are on track as far as what she is working on in school currently. However, noticed that the Science only goes up to 6th grade, and the SS lessons are about American History (she is working on World History in school).

So, my questions are.....I plan to use T4L for Math and LA along with T4W for essays. Also adding in library weekly visits, field trips, and museum visits. But, does anyone have any sugestions about Science and Social Studies? I guess I am so nervous b/c I want to make sure we cover the right info for her to be on track when she goes back. And is there any requirements in NC as far as how/what I teach....like does it somewhat have to be thru an accredited program?

Thanks for any answers....like I said before, I am clueless, and plan to start her homeschooling after the Christmas break.

Here is some information that I hope will help you in your dilemma. First of all, if you open a home school and homeschool her for the rest of this grade, she will not be taking EOGs. These are not available to homeschooled students and our testing is different. When a child has been homeschooled and then returns to school in NC, it is completely up to the school as to where they place that student. I am concerned in your case because it is already unbelievable that they have not done anything to help your child who is obviously a good student overall just having problems this year. Have you considered getting a tutor or other outside help for those two subjects?

Your plan as outlined is not a bad plan, I just don't know that it will work with that school. Or who to tell you to talk with at the school to see what process they would use to place your dd when she returns. I would normally recommend a Woodcock Johnson test in this kind of situation (where someone plans to homeschool for a short time and then go back to school). This is a test that will fulfill the homeschool testing requirements and is performed by an outside tester. It is also one that schools are more likely to consider but legally, they are not required to look at our testing - they can place your daughter however they choose.

To answer some other questions - no, it doesn't have to be an accredited program. If I were you, my main concern would be what the school will be expecting when she returns next year. Here is a link to the standard course of study for NC public schools: NC Standard Course of Study. We are not tied to this as homeschoolers, I am posting it just for you in your situation.

I am sorry that i cannot tell you anything more definite on how this will work out for you. I will mention that people often start homeschooling like this and then discover that their family loves it and they decide to continue.
    Last edited by karenhs2; 12-12-2011 at 08:27 AM.

pandahoneybee is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Momof2girls View Post

First of all WELCOME to the fun of homeschooling, second relax easier said than done right?? OK I am using Supercharged Science my boys are now in 4th and 9th grade so i totally get that being nervous about making sure that they are doing everything that they supposed to!! We also use T4L and T4W and love them!!

As far as history goes, we are doing a coop for the 9th grader (since i needed some help figuring out what to do with that subject for him this year) but before that i used story of the world and researched anything the boys were interested in as well. Right now doing literature study with 4th grader and we are discussing the american indians since there were alot of american indian festivals and colonial studies as well.

Feel free to PM to if you have any more questions i will do my best to answer them, sorry if i am all over the place with my responce, "TIS the season" LOL
    pandahoneybee
    My personal blog- Pandahoneybee's Homeschooling Adventure