Home Schooling while traveling
    USMC_Wife is offline Junior Member Newbie

Question Home Schooling while traveling

Hi guys, I'm new here to this forum and have some questions. My husband is in the Military here in North Carolina and he will be getting out in about a couple months. We have decided to take a big family dream trip to Alaska but can not go until The end of July, beginning of Aug.

Since school will be starting in Aug I planned on homeschooling the kids until we come back from our 2 month trip. My questions are...

1) Since my husband is getting out of the Marine Corps and we will be in limbo as far as not knowing what state we are going to live in & traveling for a few months. Which state do we need to register for homeschooling? My husband is a resident of Michigan although we are not going back there. Side Note: ( We are probably coming back to North Carolina after our trip, since my husband is just finishing up the police academy here, but we are also waiting on a application to go through for Alaska State Troopers)

2) My boys are 10 & 7, they will be starting 5th and 2nd grade..Is there a place to get curriculum? Is this expensive?

3) Like I have stated above I want to home school them for about 2 months while we travel, is this possible or do I need to do it for an entire year? Side NoteI have often thought about home schooling since it is expensive to put my kids in Christian school. So if all goes well for those 2 months, I just might do it for good! =) )

I think thats about it, I have been looking all over for answers but can't find any to fit my needs, so I hope you guys will be able to help me or at least steer me in the right direction. Thank you

pandahoneybee is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Hello USMC Wife Ok this is what I found out for you!
    1-Since your husband is a resident of Michigan I believe that is the state that you have to follow when it comes to homeschooling. (you have to follow their requirements) BUT if you are a resident of NC then you can also chose this state as long as you have a residence here) I would actually contact the NCDOA to make sure though. here is the Michigan state page so that you can see the requirement for there, keep in mind that if you move to Alaska and your residency changes then you will have to most likely find out about homeschooling in Alaska (which doesn't look like it has too many requirements either!)
    2-You need to find out if you will have internet access or not, if so you should try T4L for your boys. Mine love it! and then I supplement where I need to with mostly free online resources. This way the amount of books that you need to lug around is kept to the bear minimum. I would also suggest making some fun history and science lessons out of things to do in Alaska, I can't imagine going somewhere like there for a couple of months without learning about the wonders around you
    3- I don't believe that anywhere is says that you have to homeschool for the entire year but again check out the Michigan state page and look to see what it says. You might just find that you love to homeschool I know I pulled my boys out due to the district changing our base school every couple of years and I didn't like the one they were going to be sent to! I wouldn't change my decision to homeschool for the world! Let me know if this info helps and what you decide to do
    pandahoneybee
    My personal blog- Pandahoneybee's Homeschooling Adventure

USMC_Wife is offline Junior Member Newbie

Thank you for the info! It appears we will be registering in North Carolina because Michigan has a Bachelors degree requirement and we are still both working on ours and I just got my residency for North Carolina. One problem we have run into is, we will not have a physical address anywhere, because we will be going straight from base housing right to our lovely RV =) And I'm sure we can't use PO Boxes lol. Unless of course I am dishonest and use a friends house as our address for the mean time?

I would love to use this program, but I am not sure how consistent our internet access will be, since we will be traveling through Alaska & Canada. I'm not really sure how T4L works or home schooling in general works. Do we have to show the state our progress? I just want to make sure that when or if I do enroll them back into the school system, that they are not going to be behind or held back.

Since I don't think we can do online home schooling esp. if we have to log in every day. What then can we do? Do we make our own curriculum? Where do I buy their books and so forth? Thanks again for your help. =)

pandahoneybee is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Yes i think that you do need a physical address but I could be wrong?? I used my husband's work address to register before we moved here and changed it later

Yes you would need internet access for any online program BUT if you had it on certain days like Library days as you travel (while you are traveling make it a point to go to a local library and use their internet Otherwise you have the options of making your curricula or getting an all in one curricula or boxed curricula. Here is a site that I reference when people need some ideas for the all in one curricula.

Oh I don't really know what you have to show the state when you re-enroll if you do! I know that you have to have them tested every year and keep the attendence records. They would probably test your child upon re-entry.(but again my boys never want to go back so I haven't researched that)

Happy to try and answer any other questions that I can GOOD LUCK!
    pandahoneybee
    My personal blog- Pandahoneybee's Homeschooling Adventure