I have a few questions...
    LovingMyBabies is offline Junior Member

Default I have a few questions...

My first question is how long per day should my daughter be here doing lesson plans? What is an average? I just signed up here today because I was going back and forth trying to figure things out... Is it too late to start now here with her? I have been working with her offline as well of course.
    I have my schedule planned out for school days but I am unsure how much online time to do. Anyone have a round about time they can give me? How long is your child online here learning during the day?

Also, I am still waiting to hear back from the state for the confirmation. Can I still work with her while I am waiting on them? Can I get in trouble doing that?

Please help. I am new at this so I probably sound a little silly to the moms that have been doing this a while, sorry! Oh and my daughter is in Kindergarten, I am sure that makes a difference in answers...
    I am so glad to "officially" be on board here! =)

Nicole McGhee is offline Senior Member

Hi! Kindergarten is so exciting!! My oldest is in 4th grade this year but I also have a Kindergartener and I forgot how much fun they are!

Ok, for how long your daughter will be doing the lessons, that really depends on her. My son likes to do as many lessons as I'll allow him (I tend to have him stick to 2-3 per day) and some of them he likes to visit again because they were so fun. I would say Kindergarten lesson time would typically be 15-30 minutes. Then you can spend time with her afterwards reinforcing the things she's just learned. Of course, this time frame will vary from family to family and even child to child.

You are fine to work with her while you are waiting on state confirmation and you won't be in any trouble for doing so. As far as states go, North Carolina is a relatively easy state to homeschool in and the laws are pretty relaxed.

Also, enjoy this time! Kindergarten is a new adventure everyday and if she's excited, be excited with her!

We are SO excited about this! I am getting more and more excited as I am making up my schedule and daily routines. It will be a learning time for me too, I have to get myself on a routine now which will actually be nice and different.
    Okay, I wasn't sure if there was a requirement or how it worked with the online lessons. That is good information for me thank you!
    My daughter is 6 years old, the public schools were already giving me trouble about the dead line for her age so I decided kind of late that Home Schooling would better fit us anyway. I am a little behind on everything but I am glad to know that if she is above kindergarten level I can adjust things here. The school system was going to make her be in kindergarten no matter what level she performed at which I think is totally wrong! They should have tested her first. Home Schooling is our best bet for our daughter and us as a family.

Question, what age/grade do they start the end of the year tests? And is there anything at the end of the year that we have to turn in or update the state on? I am not sure on these things...

Thanks for your help!! =)

Nicole McGhee is offline Senior Member

I love your enthusiasm! I'm so glad you are starting to feel more confident and comfortable with your decision to homeschool your daughter! It's great to be able to tailor your daughter's schooling to *her* needs. If she needs a little extra help in one area, then you have that flexibility and if she excels in another aspect, then you know you can go ahead to the next topic.

In NC, you start end of the year testing at 7. I use an online version of the California Achievement Test (CAT) and I like it but there are MANY different tests that you will be able to choose from when that time comes. Also, the requirements for hs'ing in NC, you need to notify the state and then keep attendance and vaccination records ON FILE (yourself, at home). You do not need to submit this information to them unless it's requested.

It's pretty easy!

Okay, awesome thank you so much for the information. I read something about updating the state at the end of the year, I didn't understand what that was about...
    I thought the tests started in 3rd grade so I am glad I asked! My daughter will be 7 in November so I guess I will need to look into the tests that are out there.
    Thank you so much again for all of the information you gave me! It is so appreciated. =)