im very new to the homeschool thing if i use the site and buy the work
Results 1 to 2 of 2
  1. #1
    Unregistered Guest

    Post im very new to the homeschool thing if i use the site and buy the work

    Do I have to have a high-school diploma to homeschool My Two children they have been having seizures and health issues I was in Iron Station schools but I moved to Charlotte my kids do not want to be in CMS schools I would like to homeschool them if I pay for this site is this the same as being homeschooled do I need a hose High School diploma to do this and how would I register it for them to be in school someone please help thanks Sarah

  2. #2
    hearthstone_academy's Avatar
    hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Blog Entries

    Default Re: im very new to the homeschool thing if i use the site and buy the work

    Hi. Most states recognize that a parent is naturally uniquely qualified to teach their own child (after all, they taught them to walk and talk and eat with a spoon . . . ), so few require a high school diploma. North Carolina is one state that DOES require the teaching parent to have a high school diploma or GED.

    I'm not sure what you mean when you ask, "Is this the same as being homeschooled?" Time4Learning is one homeschool curriculum that parents can choose to use. It is NOT an online school (which many people mistakenly think of or refer to as "homeschooling").

    Pasted below is a summary of your state's homeschool laws. Time4Learning allows anyone to sign up at any time. T4L provides the curriculum and you use it your way. T4L does encourage you to follow the homeschool laws in your state but, like any homeschool curriculum, Time4Learning will not oversee that or "check up on" you. It is the parent's responsibility to know and understand the homeschool laws in their state.

    Each state's homeschool laws are very different. The best place to find your state's homeschool laws is your state's Department of Education website.

    1. Submit a notice of intent.

    You must submit a notice of intent to operate a homeschool to the North Carolina Division of Non-Public Education (DNPE). Submitting this notice is only required once, when you are establishing a new homeschool. Your notice must contain the name and address of your homeschool and the name of your homeschool’s owner and chief administrator. You may submit your notice of intent to operate a homeschool via the DNPE’s website. Alternately, if you are an HSLDA member and prefer to use a paper form, you may download ours here.

    2. Ensure that the teachers in your homeschool have the required qualifications.

    The persons who provide academic instruction in your homeschool must have at least a high school diploma or its equivalent.

    3. Provide the required days of instruction.

    Your homeschool must operate on a regular schedule for at least nine calendar months each year, except for “reasonable holidays and vacations.”

    4. Keep attendance and immunization records.

    You can download a homeschool attendance form from the DNPE’s website, although the use of this form is not mandatory. Immunization records can be obtained from your child’s health care provider. Information about medical and religious exemptions from immunizations is available on the website of the North Carolina Department of Health and Human Services.

    5. Administer an annual standardized test.

    At least once during every school year, you must test your child using a nationally standardized test or other nationally standardized equivalent measurement. The test you choose must measure achievement in the areas of English grammar, reading, spelling, and mathematics. For one year after the testing, your child’s test scores must be kept “available” at the principal office of your homeschool at all reasonable hours for annual inspection by a duly authorized representative of the state of North Carolina.

    Although the DNPE has attempted to perform home visits under this provision, the law gives its officials no right to enter homes or to inspect any records besides test scores. There is also no statutory requirement for parents to attend record review meetings arranged by the Division of Non-Public Education for the purpose of reviewing their records. Copies of test scores may simply be mailed to the DNPE upon request.

    Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts