Looking forward to meeting other Tarheel homeschoolers!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    topsytechie is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Default Looking forward to meeting other Tarheel homeschoolers!

Welcome to our North Carolina forum thread!! My forum name is Topsytechie, and I have volunteered to be the North Carolina state representative for the Time4Learning Parents Forum! I've been homeschooling in NC for almost ten years now, so I have gained a lot of info about laws and requirements for learning at home here. If you live in NC, and are just beginning your homeschooling journey, you might want to check out my article on the Time4Learning website about how I started homeschooling in North Carolina (and what resources I recommend) or an article I wrote called: "Step by Step Guide to Homeschooling in North Carolina".

Because NC is fairly homeschool-friendly, the numbers of homeschoolers in the state are almost always steadily increasing. According to the most recent statistics, there are now over 70,000 registered homeschool students in North Carolina. This means that there are plenty of regional and local ways to find support, get connected with other homeschoolers, and take part in group homeschool activities. My county, for instance, has a large homeschool cooperative that allows members access to a free lending library, spring and fall enrichment classes, intramural sports opportunities, and scheduled activities. There is even a formal graduation ceremony for students who finish out high school as homeschoolers.

If you would like to find out more about our experience homeschooling in North Carolina, or have questions about home education in NC, be sure to share them here in the forum, or send me a private message at topsytechie. I look forward to hearing from all you homeschooling Tarheels out there!

justThe10ofus is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Re: Looking forward to meeting other Tarheel homeschoolers!

We're also in North Carolina...just north of Raleigh. This is our first year home schooling. We have five children still in the nest ages 14, 11, 7, 3, & 1. Our 14 yr old and 7 yr old are enrolled in T4L. Our kids love the lessons and I love the easy record keeping.

We have our first annual testing coming up and I'm looking for input and ideas on how to handle that.

~Rose

Blog Entries

Hi Rose!

Testing in NC is a fairly straightforward process. The best source of info on it is through the North Carolina DNPE. Their page on testing FAQ's can be found here.

Only children 7 or older need to be tested annually. The DNPE also has a list of test vendors, to make it easier to locate the test that is right for your family. Our youngest son, for instance, usually takes the Woodcock-Johnson test because he has dyslexia. W-J is an oral test that does not depend on his reading abilities to get an accurate score. Our oldest son takes a totally different test. In NC, your children can take completely different tests, depending on their needs.

If you are aligned with a local homeschool group, you can also check to see if they are doing group testing. Many homeschool groups buy standardized tests at a discount group price, and allow you to have your child tested with the group. Other parents prefer to test at home, or to have a neighbor or even a public school teacher test their child privately. The choices are many.

Best of luck!
    Topsy-Techie

Kim
    Kim is offline Junior Member Newbie

We are also in N.C. I taught public school for 17 years and homeschool my son who has Asperger's, and dyslexia. In the past we have used the CAT, but I was wondering what test would be the best for him. He won't let anyone else work with him so someone other than myself giving the test is out of the question. Reading skills are improving but he is basically at a 1st grade level in reading. Last year he didn't miss a one on science. HELP!!!!!!!!

Blog Entries

Default Re: Looking forward to meeting other Tarheel homeshoolers!

Kim,

We have lots in common! Living in NC and homeschooling a son with Asp/Dyslexia! I second my suggestion of the Woodcock-Johnson. It is ideal for different skill levels. You can definitely be in the room with him while he is tested...think he would go for it? You might want to try it at least once, especially if you can find an understanding tester...what part of NC are you in?

Kerry

Kim
    Kim is offline Junior Member Newbie

We live in Western North Carolina on Lake James. We are between Asheville and Hickory. No, he wouldn't go for it at all. I hate giving the test. I hated it when my children at school had to take the E.O.G. I wish there was a better way. I know exactly where he is at and what he needs. He just can't move at the pace that is expected for each grade level each year unless it is science or social studies. We just got through reading about the Biltmore House. He has been asking alot of questions about it so we are doing some research. I'll probably take him there this spring.

Blog Entries

Kim,

We're not too far away...we're in Hendersonville. Here is a link you might check out...they might have some suggestions for you. http://www.smarttesting.net/

Hope you can find something that works!

Kerry

tinsetta2 is offline Junior Member Newbie

Hi,
    We currently live in NY state, but we are moving to NC at the end of June. We will be living in Fayetteville/Hope Mills. This was our first year homeschooling and we just started using Time 4 Learning last week. I am just wondering if anyone lives in or around that area? We are hoping to be able to connect with other homeschoolers over the summer. I would also appreciate if anyone could suggest any good resources/groups, etc in the area.
    Thanks! Teri

blessedw/3 is offline Junior Member Newbie

Hi,

We are in Mooresville, NC. This will be our first year to homeschool. We have three children ages 12, 6 and 1. My daughter will be in the eight grade and she will be the one to be homeschooled.

I am looking forward in working with T4L. It seems to have a lot of great feedback!

Thank you,
    Melissa

Achwha is offline Junior Member Newbie

We are in Gastonia NC, about 30 miles outside Charlotte. This is our first year homeschooling. I have three boys, one graduated public school 4 years ago, a 13 year old that is being homeschooled this year and a 9 year old who is still in public school. I will home school the younger one when he starts middle school.

I am looking forward to talking to some other homeschoolers in my area.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast